This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6181 / 55°37'5"N
Longitude: -3.5398 / 3°32'23"W
OS Eastings: 303123
OS Northings: 637131
OS Grid: NT031371
Mapcode National: GBR 33QG.GX
Mapcode Global: WH5T1.L1MX
Entry Name: Biggar Park, Stables and Outbuildings
Listing Date: 3 October 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336424
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5099
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Stabling/Offices to Biggar Park, House, comprising pair parallel long rectangular range, all built of rubble with contrasting yellow ashlar dressings; slate roofs. RANGE TO REAR (north) built first, probably late 18th century (shown as in existence on 1813 estate plan - see REFERENCES); 2 storeys, ie with loft contained beneath eaves; 4 regularly-placed bays with 3 entrance doors, square loft openings (2 are blind, with 6-pane glazing pattern painted on). 5 additional openings at ground floor, not all of which are original. Axial roof ventilators; stabling within. East gable has been altered - with blocked wide archway (?originally coach-house) with 2-compartment (?) pigsty abutting.
FRONT RANGE (ie to south) is taller, 2-storeyed with lower flanking wings. Built probably by c. 1850 (not shown on 1813 map); 2-storey part has 12-pane sash and case windows and deep eaves band; 5-bay front elevation arranged as (a) a 3-bay centre-doored house (2-leaf doors, rectangular fanlight) (it was probably from the outset in partial domestic use, at least), with (b) a 2-bay range adjoining - twin-arched coach-house at ground, 2 windows above (foorestair at rear gives access to upper floors). This part may have been raised from single storey. Where 2-bay low wing (also likely to be an additiion) adjoins at least, an entrance doorway has been slapped out in above-mentioned tall range, beside blocked opening of wing; glazing of surviving south-facing window of wing compares with that of house main front/flanks in its proportions, and may be co-eval. West (left hand) wing has pair garage doorways slapped out in gable. Skews; stacks; westhervane finial.
Other nearby listed buildings