This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5749 / 56°34'29"N
Longitude: -2.5582 / 2°33'29"W
OS Eastings: 365801
OS Northings: 742693
OS Grid: NO658426
Mapcode National: GBR VW.7PV9
Mapcode Global: WH8S2.PZ0Z
Entry Name: Former Stables and Coach House, Seaton House
Listing Date: 3 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336439
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5108
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Arbroath and St Vigeans
Electoral Ward: Arbroath East and Lunan
Parish: Arbroath And St Vigeans
Traditional County: Angus
1855. Rectangular-plan, symmetrical single storey main block with adjoining coach house and enclosed forecourt; Tudor detailing; to centre of roof, square plan louvred slated ventilation fleche with bell cast eaves. Coursed ashlar principal elevations; squared snecked rubble with some pinnings to remainder; droved ashlar quoins. String course and coped parapet to eaves. Hoodmoulded windows; windows predominantly blocked.
SW ELEVATION: main block, 5-bay elevation; slightly advanced central bay with segmentally-arched pend opening (now infilled with out of character glazing), outer right bay, shouldered doorway with modern timber door, recessed date panel above, inscribed '1855'; outer left bay, former window opening now a doorway obscured by modern brick linking section; reticulated ironwork to windows. Coach house to left (see below)
NE ELEVATION: to centre, segmentally-arched pend opening (now blocked) with dormer headed opening breaking parapet above; wallhead stack to left.
SE ELEVATION: single bay elevation with bipartite window.
NW ELEVATION: blank elevation. Screen wall with timber door, linking to coach house to right (see below).
INTERIOR: to rear wall, 4 recessed oval hay rack niches.
COACH HOUSE: to SW of main block. 3-bay principal (SE elevation); 3 shouldered coach openings, blocked by brick to left and centre; obscuring right bay, advanced brick section linking to main block. Single blocked window to rear elevation; blind side elevations.
FORECOURT WALL AND RAILINGS: enclosing quadrant to front of main block; high random rubble length from side elevation of coach house to SE corner of quadrant; remainder of wall lower, coursed tooled squared sandstone surmounted by cast iron axe-head railings and tapered stone piers; cast iron gate to SE corner of wall.
B Group with Seaton House and Seaton House, Tower.
Currently in use as a bar.
A good, although altered, example of mid 19th century stables architecture, the value of which is enhanced by its situation close to Seaton House itself.
The former stables and coach house were built by John Rennie Strachan Carnegie, just two years after he succeeded to the estates of Seaton and Tarrie in 1853. He inherited the estates from Thomas Rennie Strachan of Tarrie, a descendant of Sir David Carnegie. When he inherited the estates, John took the names of Rennie Strachan and prefixed them to his own name of Carnegie.
Other nearby listed buildings