History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thornliebank (Woodlands) Parish Church

A Category C Listed Building in Giffnock and Thornliebank, East Renfrewshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8029 / 55°48'10"N

Longitude: -4.3189 / 4°19'7"W

OS Eastings: 254750

OS Northings: 659062

OS Grid: NS547590

Mapcode National: GBR 3P.7H90

Mapcode Global: WH3PF.MDLR

Entry Name: Thornliebank (Woodlands) Parish Church

Listing Date: 4 June 1990

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 336469

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5130

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Eastwood

County: East Renfrewshire

Electoral Ward: Giffnock and Thornliebank

Parish: Eastwood

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Giffnock

Description

1891 cruciform plan church, with near-contemporary hall
abutting E gable. Chancel extended 1893. Nave orientated E-W,
with paired aisles to N and S. Lower apse, with vestry
addition adjoining at right angles to N. Squared, snecked
and stugged ashlar with cream ashlar dressings; base
course, chamfered reveals. Pointed-arched windows with
plate tracery. Steep gables.
N ELEVATION: gabled porch to outer right; pointed arched
doorway with hoodmould. M-gabled aisles projecting at centre,
each with paired windows at ground, round window with trefoil
to gableheads. Later ?piended vestry addition adjoining
to right.
S ELEVATION: paired aisles projecting at centre as above.
W ELEVATION: Two 3-light windows, round window to gablehead.
E ELEVATION: 2-bay chancel adjoining E gable of nave. Coped
ashlar skews, finials to gables, stack to E. E window
dedicated to Alexander Crum 1893, S memorial window to David
Tod, 1912 (see notes).
Single-storey hall adjoining at right angles; gable
breaking eaves to E with tripartite, bellcote to centre
roof-ridge with conical roof and finial. Coped ashlar skews
with angle skewputts, coped stack.

Statement of Interest

The site for the church was gifted by Alexander Crum and his

brother William in 1891, when a separate parish of

Thornliebank was set up from Eastwood. David Tod of

Eastwood Park was a trustee. This church became known as

Thornliebank Woodlands Parish Church in 1929, and was

united with the Thornliebank Spiersbridge Church of

Scotland as Thornliebank Parish Church in 1977. (The

Spiersbridge Church was later converted into a new hall

for the church.)

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.