This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8127 / 55°48'45"N
Longitude: -4.0797 / 4°4'47"W
OS Eastings: 269769
OS Northings: 659672
OS Grid: NS697596
Mapcode National: GBR 3Z.6XBK
Mapcode Global: WH4QP.95J7
Entry Name: Uddingston, Bothwell Road, Bothwell Castle Gatehouse Including Screen Walls, Quadrant Walls and Piers
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336478
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5137
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Bothwell and Uddingston
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Earlier-mid 19th century, restored 1996. Symmetrical gothic gatehouse sited at entrance to Bothwell Park. Crenellated square-plan block to centre with angle buttresses; flanking 2-bay screen walls with square-plan, aproned and swept pyramidal-capped terminal piers, with buttresses between bays; further, lower curved and buttressed quadrant walls with terminating piers flanking. Re pointed polished red ashlar sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; string course to upper level of screen walls; string course below parapet to central block. Chamfered surrounds and mullions windows; hood moulds to windows and doorway; mask terminals to hoodmould over doorway.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Channelled point-arched doorway to centre of main block; pair of replacement strapped and bossed boarded timber gates; pedestrian door cut into left leaf; Douglas coat of arms in relief to parapet above. Bipartite window in each bay flanking. Quadrant walls swept out to either side. Octagonal terminal piers on shallow plinth with string course, cornice and shallow octagonal cap.
Fixed and blocked lattice pointed-arched windows; roof covering obscured by parapet (exposed replaced timber rafters, tie beams and braces beneath); ridged ashlar copes along crenellations and both sets of screen walls.
Some time after 1816 the two flanking lodges to the drive leading to the castle, Bothwell Park and Bothwell Mansion (now demolished) were replaced by the present gothic gatehouse/lodge. Walter de Moravia acquired the land in 1242 and built the now ruined castle. Through the centuries, the castle and its grounds changed hands many times, but was returned to the Douglas family in 1488. The lodge bears the Douglas Coat of Arms. The gatehouse was renovated in 1996 using contributions from a variety of local and national sources.
Other nearby listed buildings