This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8031 / 55°48'11"N
Longitude: -4.0735 / 4°4'24"W
OS Eastings: 270128
OS Northings: 658597
OS Grid: NS701585
Mapcode National: GBR 3Z.7K3G
Mapcode Global: WH4QP.DDGL
Entry Name: Bothwell, 1-8 (Inclusive Nos) Blantyre Mill Road, Elmwood Mansion
Listing Date: 21 October 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336486
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5145
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Bothwell and Uddingston
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1819 with later alterations and series of additions, 1893, 1923, 1936 and 1952. 2-storey, 6-bay (2 outer bays to left single storey) asymmetrical multi-gabled Tudor-gothick U-plan former Secondary School with crenellated full-height 3-light canted window to right gable and crenellated oriel window to advanced left gable; 6 bay asymmetrical addition to right (W). Droved red sandstone ashlar with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; cill course at ground; hood mould over Tudor-arched window at ground (hood mould to window at 1st floor to outer right of addition); string course between ground and 1st floor; crenellated parapet, with carved arched armorial panel over door, continuous over flanking window at ground; apron with triangular motifs between ground and 1st floor to left; eaves course; overhanging eaves. Moulded surrounds to windows (chamfered surrounds to addition).
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 12-bay, grouped 6-6. 6-bay original block to right: steps (flanked by low walls pierced with quatrefoil motifs, terminated by octagonal piers with (later) geometric wrought iron lamp standards) to raised shallow porch with carved shield and inscription "BENE DEN MOTO" above at ground in bay to right of centre; Tudor-arched doorpiece with multi-moulded set below, supported by grey polished granite columns with carved capitals (grey polished granite pierced spandrels); replacement timber panelled door with modern glazing between mullioned lights surrounding. 3-light Tudor-arched mullioned window with decorative carved surround at ground in bay to left of centre; Tudor-arched window, set back at 1st floor; shield panel to gable above. 3-light segmental-arched, mullioned window at ground to advanced bay to left; 3-light canted oriel window at 1st floor with 2 blind slits evenly disposed beneath; blind slit to gablehead above; finial to gable apex. Bipartite mullioned window in each bay at ground to outer left; blind slit to gable set behind above; gablehead stack above. Full-height 3 light canted window in bay to right; shield panel to gablehead above. 6-bay addition slightly set back to right: single window at ground with Tudor-arched dormer window at 1st floor in each of 5 bays to left; window (blinded) in right return of original block. 3-light mullioned and transomed window at ground in slightly advanced gabled bay to outer right; 3-light window with taller central light at 1st floor above.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: irregular single- and 2-storey with attic, 5 bay, including advanced single- and 2-storey gabled block set to left incorporating stable block to outer left. 3-light window at ground in slightly advanced gabled bay to centre; bipartite window at 1st floor above. Tall segmental-arched doorway with stepped Tudor-arched cope above, with bipartite windows flanking (window to left blinded) in slightly recessed bay to outer left. Bipartite window in each bay of 2-bay single storey block to right. 3 evenly disposed windows set back at 1st floor above. Bipartite, pointed-arched window at attic to gable, set to left above.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 6-bay, grouped 1-1-4. Replacement timber panelled door with letterbox fanlight and large segmental-arched light above at ground in bay to left of centre; small 3-light window, set tight to eaves at 1st floor above. 3-light transomed window at ground din gabled bay to outer left; 3-light transomed window with taller central light at 1st floor above. 2-light mullioned and transomed window with 2-light galbetted window above in 4 remaining bays to right.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular internal angles of U-plan incorporating additional block to left. Slightly advanced gabled bay to centre with pointed-arched stair window. Single windows at ground with gabled pointed-arched windows at 1st floor flanking. Projecting former stableyard wall at ground to right with 3 irregularly disposed dormer windows and stack between set back at 1st floor above. Irregular fenestration to addition to left of centre. Regular fenestration (bipartite window at ground with bipartite window above) to projecting wall of addition to left. Single storey piend roofed porch to re-entrant angle.
Largely 2-pane timber sash and case windows with some fixed and casement windows to additional block. Grey slate roof; bargeboards with exposed rafters to rear; grey slate to addition. Multi-flue ashlar coped stacks to dominant gable of original block and to rear; ashlar coped stack to N end gable of addition; cast-iron rainwater goods with some uPVC replacements to rear.
INTERIOR: although flatted in 1977, many fine interior features remain. Etched glass panelled vestibule doors by C & J Rae of Glasgow; pierced timber banister; pointed-arched hood mould with regular flower motifs over architraved timber panelled door to upper flat; (drip moulded ceiling and fine plaster work to this flat although unseen, 1996; information courtesy of Factor); skirting boards, timber panelled doors and some cornices to lower flat (originally main downstairs rooms).
Built in 1819 (architect unknown) for Mr Shaw, an ironmonger of some means from Trongate, Glasgow, probably completely refronted around 1893 when the school was extended (see below), and set in acres of ground laid out as formal gardens with lawns, terraces, water features and with a driveway lined with elms which gave it its name, Elmwood was one of the most imposing mansions in Bothwell. A mixture of castellated, medieval and gothic features, including the carved likeness of John Knox in places, it is a product of the mixture of styles and revivalist ideas prevalent at the time. In 1878 the house was sold to the Franciscan Sisters, who already had a successful boarding school in Glasgow, to open another such school whose original role was 40. The teaching was of a high standard and by 1888 the school was able to present candidates for the newly introduced Scottish Leaving Certificate. Such success attracted more pupils, including day girls, and inevitably required larger premises. Unfortunately, however, the original extension of the building in 1893 to equip the school with dormitories, science rooms, a music room, studies etc. meant the destruction of much of the formal gardens, mapped as early as 1859 as being of considerable size and importance. The school closed in 1977 and was converted into flats with the addition of private sheltered accommodation in the grounds which opened in 1983, being the first development of its kind in Scotland.
Other nearby listed buildings