This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.82 / 55°49'12"N
Longitude: -4.0853 / 4°5'7"W
OS Eastings: 269444
OS Northings: 660496
OS Grid: NS694604
Mapcode National: GBR 3Z.68G1
Mapcode Global: WH4QH.6ZW5
Entry Name: Uddingston, 62 Old Glasgow Road, Easter Farm, Including Flanking Outbuildings, Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336488
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5147
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Bothwell and Uddingston
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1782 with later alterations and additions. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical plain classical rectangular-plan house with detached single-storey outbuildings forming 3 sides of courtyard. Droved pink sandstone ashlar with polished dressings; squared and coursed rubble to W side and rear; re-faced sandstone ashlar to W side. Base course; eaves course. Raised margins to windows; raised channelled quoins.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: later advanced pilastered and corniced doorpiece at ground in bay to centre; 2-leaf timber panelled door with rectangular fanlight; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in each bay flanking.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular 5-bay with pitched brick addition with single window, set high, in bay to left of centre. Window at 1st floor in bay to left. Window at ground in bay to outer left. Window, set high, at ground in bay to centre. Window at each floor in bay to outer right.
W AND E (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: blank.
12-pane timber sash and case windows; (8-pane to centre rear). Grey slate roof with small skylight to rear; grey slate to addition; ashlar coped wallhead stacks to E and W; polygonal cans; ashlar coped skews with decorative scroll skewputts; cast-iron rainwater goods with some modern replacements at rear.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1997.
OUTBUILDINGS: squared and coursed pink sandstone rubble with polished dressings. Eaves course. E OUTBUILDING:
S ELEVATION: modern sliding garage doors at ground to gabled end; oculus to gablehead above. W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: lean-to conservatory (stone base with glazed superstructure) set to left, adjacent to and abutting main house. N (REAR) ELEVATION: window set to left at ground. Lean-to brick addition with modern door set to right, abutting main house; decorative gablehead stack above. W OUTBUILDING: S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded door to gabled end wall at ground to centre. E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: boarded door, set to left. W ELEVATION: boarded door, set to right. N (REAR) ELEVATION: blank gabled wall with decorative gablehead stack above.
Grey slate roof; ashlar coped stacks; ashlar coped skews with decorative cylindrical skewputts; cast-iron rainwater goods.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan pink sandstone piers with cornice and shallow pyramidal cap. Pink sandstone ashlar curved boundary walls with curved cope. Replacement wrought-iron railings and gates.
Originally called Birkenshaw House and built by the Jack family in 1782. When Andrew Ford, the dairyman from Easter Farm in Old Mill Road moved here in 1883, he transferred the name too. Possibly the first house in the village to have been built with a slate roof. B-group with 60 Old Glasgow Road and 64-66 Old Glasgow Road.
Other nearby listed buildings