This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8325 / 55°49'56"N
Longitude: -4.1082 / 4°6'29"W
OS Eastings: 268054
OS Northings: 661926
OS Grid: NS680619
Mapcode National: GBR 3Y.5H7L
Mapcode Global: WH4QG.VNXM
Entry Name: Uddingston, Greyfriars Road, Greyfriars Including Gatepiers, Quadrant Walls and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 5 June 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336493
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5150
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Bothwell and Uddingston
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Early 19th century with later alterations and additions. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay, symmetrical rectangular-plan plain classical house with single storey low pavilions flanking and later rectangular-plan chapel with walled courtyard to rear. Droved red sandstone ashlar with polished ashlar dressings. Base course, band course and cornice between ground and 1st floors; eaves course, dentilled cornice and blocking course. Plain margins to ground floor windows; moulded architraves and bracketed cills to 1st floor windows; splayed dormers flanking box dormer to attic; strip quoins.
S (PRINCIPLE) ELEVATION: steps to (replaced) cavetto doorway with flanking Doric columns, plain frieze, cornice and block pediment, inscribed "Greyfriars"; replacement 2-leaf timber panelled door with rectangular fanlight; window at 1st floor; dormer window to attic above. Window at each floor in bays flanking. Window to each pavilion, set back, to outer left and right.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: regular 3-bay to rear of main block with various additions to rear of pavilions; chapel to outer right. Stair window, set high in bay to centre with small window to left at 1st floor flanking. Window at each floor in bays flanking. Piend roofed addition with window to right, porch to left and porch to right return advanced at ground to left; tall gablehead stack to rear wall of pavilion behind. Flat-roofed addition with further lean-to canopy to left with chapel (with 2-bay connecting block) to outer left.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: single storey pavilion with window set to right at ground; screen wall at ground to right with window in left return. Window, set to left of main block at 1st floor above; small window to right of centre of main block; wide gablehead stack above.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay single storey pavilion with window in each bay (bay to left blinded) at ground; window, set to left at 1st floor of main block above.
Variety of glazing patterns including 4-pane timber sash and case windows (12 pane to rear). Grey slate to roof; grey slate to pavilions, and to chapel; modern covering to flat-roofed additions; ashlar coped stacks to E and W gabled walls (stack to W heavily repaired); ashlar cope stacks to pavilions (tall stack to E pavilion); ashlar coped skews; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: decorative cornices (including egg and leaf) to main rooms downstairs; plaster panelling to hall ceiling with consoled archway leading to stairwell; dado rail, skirting boards and shutters extant downstairs; decorative wrought-iron banisters with timber handrail.
CHAPEL: gabled rectangular-plan chapel with semicircular apse to W end, lean-to addition and small courtyard, containing circular wellhead to E end, sited to N of main house to rear. Stugged and squared red sandstone rubble with round archways to courtyard; irregular fenestration; ashlar gablehead blocks to E and W ; crucifix to E end; ashlar coped skews. Squared rubble sandstone walls to courtyard with curved ashlar cope. Interior: unseen, 1997.
GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLS: square-plan stugged sandstone ashlar piers with pyramidal caps. Low sandstone rubble walls with ridged ashlar cope.
Now used to house Roman Catholic priests who hold masses in Greyfriars Chapel and who also minister further afield. Originally called Clydeside, James Cross of Clydeside is listed in the 1840 Statistical Accounts as one of the 45 heritors in Bothwell Parish, owning 105 Scots acres. The property passed by marriage from the Cross family to the Barrs. Margaret, the last member of the Barr family, died there on 13th May 1948 (her ghost is reputedly still there) and Clydeside was then taken over by Franciscan monks in 1949. The chapel to the rear was formed by converting the old stable block.
Other nearby listed buildings