This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7274 / 55°43'38"N
Longitude: -4.496 / 4°29'45"W
OS Eastings: 243345
OS Northings: 651042
OS Grid: NS433510
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.DC00
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.X96N
Entry Name: Muirshiel with Ancillary Buildings
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336527
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5180
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Probably earlier 19th century with 19th and 20th century additions. 3-bay, single storey and attic farmhouse with bipartite dormers and flanking byres to N and S forming U-plan courtyard to E (front). House rendered with ashlar dressings; whitewashed random rubble to byres. Raised ashlar window margins to house; long and short droved sandstone quoins to byres.
HOUSE: central mid-20th century piend-roofed glazed porch to E (front); fully glazed inner door with bevelled glass; flanking windows; bipartite piend-roofed dormers to attic. Byres adjoining N and S gables. Irregularly fenestrated rear (W) elevation with 20th century 2-storey and basement piend-roofed addition to centre; conservatory to left.
4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Coped, rendered stacks; yellow clay cans. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey slate.
S RANGE: former threshing barn. L-plan with gable to E and piend-roof to W. Sliding timber boarded doors to courtyard; raised section of wallhead to centre with swept roof; slit windows.
N RANGE: M-gable to E: stone byre to left with pigeon loft at gable apex; 20th century brick byre to right with sliding door. Piend-roofed addition with brick stack to W (rear) of brick byre. Timber-boarded doors.
The best surviving example in Dunlop Parish of the single storey and attic courtyard type farmhouse; most of the other farmhouses of this type have been considerably extended and altered. There has been a farm at Muirshiel since the early 18th century: it is shown on Roy's map of 1747, although at that time it was called 'Muirshield'. The surviving buildings, however, probably date from the 1820s or '30s. The original part of the North byre may be slightly later, as it has a broader gable than the South byre; however, it is shown on the 1858 OS map. The bipartite dormers were probably added on in the late 19th century. The OS maps show a horse mill to the South of the South byre.
Other nearby listed buildings