This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.712 / 55°42'43"N
Longitude: -4.5356 / 4°32'8"W
OS Eastings: 240796
OS Northings: 649419
OS Grid: NS407494
Mapcode National: GBR 3F.F20Z
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.9PFH
Entry Name: 33 Main Street, the Old Schoolhouse, with Ancillary Buildings and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336544
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5196
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1838 with later additions. 2-storey, 3-bay gabled house set back from road with enclosed forecourt, pedimented doorway, gablehead stacks, and later addition to rear. Eaves course; raised ashlar window margins and quoin strips. Random whinstone rubble, roughcast to front and rear; ashlar dressings.
HOUSE: 2-leaf timber panelled front door to N with narrow 4-pane fanlight in roll-moulded architrave; triangular pediment moulding above. Regular fenestration. Irregularly fenestrated rear; earlier 20th century 2-storey, lean-to addition advanced to right with 20th century lean-to conservatory adjoining at ground. Remains of late 19th century additions adjoining both gables.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced stacks with yellow clay cans. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey slate.
INTERIOR: timber-boarded panelling to former schoolroom. Timber panelled window shutters. Some plaster cornicing. Timber panelled interior doors.
GARAGE: early 20th century half-gabled garage (probably former stable). Rendered brick with coped wallhead. Garage door; timber-boarded sliding door; three 9-pane windows.
BOUNDARY WALL: flat-coped random rubble boundary wall to road and garden.
Built in 1838 to replace the Clandeboye Schoolhouse, which was too small for the parish's needs. The decision to build a new school was taken by the parish Heritors on 9th November 1837, following an offer by a Mr George Brisbane to pay for it. The budget for the building was £450, excluding the cost of the feu. This building remained in use as the parish school until 1876 when the present school, across the road was built.
Other nearby listed buildings