This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7121 / 55°42'43"N
Longitude: -4.5348 / 4°32'5"W
OS Eastings: 240850
OS Northings: 649428
OS Grid: NS408494
Mapcode National: GBR 3F.F26D
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.9PTD
Entry Name: 2 Stewarton Road and 19 Main Street, the Village Inn
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336545
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5197
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1817 with later additions; 19 Main street circa 1860. 2-storey, 3-bay house with probably later bowed corner, Doric pilastered doorpiece and slightly lower 2-storey addition with prominent shouldered wallhead stack at 19 Main Street. Painted, squared, coursed, stugged sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings. Eaves course and cornice; quoin strips; raised window margins; projecting cills.
2 STEWARTON ROAD: 2-leaf timber panelled front door with dentilled lintel below cross-glazed fanlight; Doric pilastered doorpiece with cornice and blocking course. Regular fenestration in 3 bays. Probably later bowed corner to NE with corniced window at ground and plainer window above. N (side) elevation with windows at ground and 1st floors; wallhead stack. Gable with gablehead stack to S elevation; later 20th century addition at ground; later additions to rear.
19 MAIN STREET: circa 1860 3-bay, 2-storey addition to public house. Central window at ground with lozenge panel above; doorways to outer bays, door to left bay blocked. 2 windows to 1st floor. Central, shouldered wallhead stack.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; lying-pane glazing to 1st floor of 19 Main Street. Corniced stacks; decorative yellow clay cans to 19 Main Street. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Formerly listed as the Dunlop Hotel, and originally called The New Inn. This building occupies a very prominent position in the middle of the village, on the junction of Main Street and Stewarton Road. In 1817 the road between Dunlop and Stewarton was upgraded to a turnpike, and this inn was probably built soon afterwards. The 1st edition OS map shows a building adjoining the South gable, and this may have been a stable. The bowed corner is probably a slightly later addition. 19 Main street is also later, and does not appear on the 1856 OS map; however, the lying-pane glazing to the upper windows indicates that it is unlikely to have been built after 1860.
Other nearby listed buildings