This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1498 / 56°8'59"N
Longitude: -3.8564 / 3°51'23"W
OS Eastings: 284768
OS Northings: 696788
OS Grid: NS847967
Mapcode National: GBR 1G.JHLC
Mapcode Global: WH4P1.QPSB
Entry Name: Menstrie, Elmbank/Menstrie Mill
Listing Date: 29 November 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 337755
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6228
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire West
Traditional County: Clackmannanshire
Probably circa 1860. 2-storey mill with classical details, long rectangular plan-block aligned N-S, ddep on plan with double ridged roof (slated). Rubble with ashlar dressings, continuous eaves cornice.
N ELEVATION: symmetrical, 5-bay and villa-like. Door at centre with pilastered and corniced doorpiece, 6-panelled door, and broad 6-pane fanlight. 2 windows flanking, 5 windows at 1st floor, all 12-pane sash and case. Clock to centre above cornice, in consoled Regency-style surround on moulded pedestal. Piended roof, paired cenrtrally placed stacks.
E & W ELEVATION: 14-bay, with tall, multipane windows (larger than those to N). Fenestration interrupted on E elevation by door and fire escape.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay, supported by brick buttresses. Slated, piended M-roof, corniced stacks.
INTERIOR: double timber cross beams supporting 1st floor built directly into the stonework, supported by single row of centrally positioned cast-iron columns. Tension rods on underside of cross beams. Roof supported centrally by timber runner carried on cast-iron columns continued up from 1st floor
This mill is the only remaining building of a sizeable complex on the Menstrie Burn, now in use as offices and a store. The original buildings were erected in 1864 by Messrs Drummond and Johnstone; Johnstone later bought out the firm, and this building probably dates from around that time. The north end of the building would have served as a counting house, with timepiece for the employees. It is detached from the main buildings and was therefore probably not used for spinning or weaving, and may have been used as a yarn store. The internal strcuture however, with unusual tie rods tensioning the cross beams does suggest a manufacturing function; similar features appear in a weaving mill added to Tweed Mill, Galashiels.
Other nearby listed buildings