This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.802 / 55°48'7"N
Longitude: -4.0662 / 4°3'58"W
OS Eastings: 270583
OS Northings: 658451
OS Grid: NS705584
Mapcode National: GBR 011C.H0
Mapcode Global: WH4QP.HFYH
Entry Name: Bothwell, 1-3 Main Street (Odd Nos), Camphill Vaults Public House
Listing Date: 14 January 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 337940
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6375
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Bothwell and Uddingston
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1900 with later alterations and additions. 2-storey with attic 3-bay (5-bay at ground) near symmetrical rectangular-plan public house. Polished red sandstone ashlar, artificial stone to dormers, (painted at round, harled at sides) with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; painted fascia "Camphill Vaults Lounge Bar" between ground and 1st floor below cornice with terminating brackets; eaves course with weathered dentilled cornice above; terminating brackets. Aprons, stop mouldings and mullions to ground floor windows; moulded margins and mullions to 1st floor windows; raised cills to dormers; strip quoins.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: picture window at ground in bay to right of centre; boarded outer door with square-plan encaustic-tiled vestibule with etched glazed and timber panelled vestibule doors behind to left flank; 2-leaf boarded outer doors with modern part-glazed vestibule doors behind to right flank; single, non-aligned window at 1st floor; scrolled pedimented wallhead stack above. Bipartite widow at ground in bay to outer right; non-aligned window at 1st floor; non-aligned dormer window above. Aligned bipartite window at each floor, including attic, in bay to outer left.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration with harled screen wall spanning almost entire ground floor with steps to 1st floor to right; alternating windows and doors at 1st floor; 3 unevenly disposed dormer windows above.
N AND S (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: harled blank gable walls with wide gablehead stacks.
2-pane timber sash and case windows at (shaped leaded and inscribed lower section to right and to picture window at ground), some replacement. Grey slate roof; modern covering to flat-roofed dormers; ashlar coped harled stacks; ashlar coped skews and blocked skewputts; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: large, near full-height gantry set to one corner of public bar (principle room) behind curved bar; divided vertically at lower reaches by Corinthian fluted pilasters, to upper reaches by baluster based, carved barleysugar columns with foliate capitals; round-ended cornice with semicircular decorative motifs; segmental arch with clock above to corner. Bar: decorative floral panels with moulded margins divided by fluted Corinthian pilasters and similar decorative cornice to gantry; hinged, folding door to bar entrance. Decorative plasterwork below dado; decorative dado rail; shutters extant; picture rail and floreate cornice; egg and leaf plaster border to ceiling; further flower bossed border within. Pair of early pub mirrors, one inscribed "James Summers, Glasgow, Property of W H Chaplain Ltd". Plain ancillary rooms flanking.
Built as a public house with domestic flat above and although the exterior is plain, the interior is probably original and very rich. The name Camphill is said to derive from the site of the military encampment prior to the Battle of Bothwell of 1679.
Other nearby listed buildings