History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kincraig, Former Meadowside Hospital.

A Category B Listed Building in Alvie, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1085 / 57°6'30"N

Longitude: -3.9671 / 3°58'1"W

OS Eastings: 280954

OS Northings: 803662

OS Grid: NH809036

Mapcode National: GBR J9KY.5HG

Mapcode Global: WH4JC.1L5F

Entry Name: Kincraig, Former Meadowside Hospital.

Listing Date: 26 May 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 337985

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6409

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Alvie

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey

Parish: Alvie

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Insh

Description

Hospital designed by an architect named Cattanach, and opened November 1906. 3 linked blocks in symmetrical H-plan layout, 2-storey administration block central, linked by long corridors to single storey ward blocks. Rubble-built, with contrasting yellow ashlar dressings (corridors timber faced), broad-eaved slate roofs throughout, and sash and case windows.

CENTRE BLOCK is domestic looking, like a 2-storey, 3-bay house, centre door in simplified doorcase, outer windows bipartite, hood-moulded at grond; 1st floor windows cut through eaves and have timber trusses to bargeboards and iron finial; 4-pane sash and case glazing; end stacks. Kitchen block adjoining to rear (N) is longer and lower, but shares common long wall.

WARD BLOCKS: each have diagonally-set square angle pavilions containing lavatory/bathroom. Glazing plate glass plus top-hopper. Stacks at ends and transversly-set at centre. Corridors each with rank of plate glass windows, and 2-leaf centre doors, facing N and S with gabled heads.

Statement of Interest

The former Meadowside Hospital at Kincraig is typical of the many small infectious diseases hositals built around the turn of the century. It is now rare to find am example as well preserved and unaltered as this, particularly as regards the link corridors and the original glazing. The ventilators have been removed from the link corridors and the sanitary annexes. By 1937 the hospital had been disused for some years, but it was kept on a care and maintenance basis. Converted to flats 1990-91.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.