History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ballencrieff House Including Walled Garden and West Pavilion

A Category B Listed Building in Aberlady, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9947 / 55°59'40"N

Longitude: -2.8227 / 2°49'21"W

OS Eastings: 348777

OS Northings: 678278

OS Grid: NT487782

Mapcode National: GBR 2Q.V7SV

Mapcode Global: WH7TQ.ML17

Entry Name: Ballencrieff House Including Walled Garden and West Pavilion

Listing Date: 19 September 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 338144

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6529

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberlady

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal

Parish: Aberlady

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
Aberlady

Description

Shell of mansion burnt out in 1868 and thereafter abandoned. Built in more than one period, some walls now collapsed: added late 17th/early 18th century ranges, making a double-pile, rendered the north front symmetrical, a tripartite facade with recessed ends (the surviving left end gabled). Nucleus a comparatively long rectangular-plan tower which had a 1625 dormer head on exposed south face; 3 storeys including vaulted basement, openings more or less regularly disposed; kitchen fireplace gable asymmetrically placed on plan; south front extended by narrower but slightly taller wing to right hand (ie east), its gable skew-ended (gables of tower crow-stepped), formerly with 18th century Venetian window at 1st floor or which only soffit arch now survives. Rubble with ashlar dressings, including window and chimney margins and cornices; some brickwork. WALLED GARDEN: Extensive walled garden to W, also rubble and ashlar. WEST PAVILION: circa 1730 2-storey 4-bay, centre-doored pavilion survives; formerly a laundry, now (1989) a farmhouse. White harled, ashlar dressings, plate glass sashes, grey-slated and swept-eaved roof, centre ridge and 2 wall head stacks.

Statement of Interest

A stone noted nearby bears a date, probably 1596, possibly indicating work done at the tower at this date. Tower said to have been built by John Murray 1st Lord Elibank. Ballencrieff formerly "the most extensive barony in the parish" (OSA). The N entrance elevation comprised a 5-bay, advanced, corniced and pedimented centre with flanking gabled wings and 4-bay pavilions connected to main house by screen walls.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.