This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7953 / 55°47'43"N
Longitude: -4.0958 / 4°5'44"W
OS Eastings: 268704
OS Northings: 657770
OS Grid: NS687577
Mapcode National: GBR 3Z.7S21
Mapcode Global: WH4QP.1LWL
Entry Name: Glasgow Road, Livingstone Memorial Church Including Hall, Boundary Wall and Manse
Listing Date: 4 May 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338236
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6589
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Blantyre
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John McKissack and William Gardner Rowan, 1880-2; hall, 1894; statue of David Livingstone, Kellock Brown, 1913; manse, 1929. Rectangular-plan, Gothic-style church with tower and spirelet. Stugged cream sandstone coursers, ashlar dressings, slate roof, terracotta ridge tiles. Base course, string course at front elevation, eaves course; lancet windows with chamfered jambs, hoodmoulds at front elevation, tower and stair gable; ashlar-coped skews. Tower; 5-stage tower, octagonal 6th stage, angle buttresses.
FRONT ELEVATION: 2-leaf door to centre with multiple-moulded pointed doorhead flanked by lancet windows with continuous hoodmould, 3-light gallery window above, quatrefoil motif at gable, celtic cross finial; window to lateral-gabled stair bay at right; tower to left, cast-iron statue of David Livingstone in niche at 2nd stage (inscription panel below at 1st stage), tall bipartite belfry openings to 4th stage at each elevation, 4 pedimented clock faces to 5th stage with pinnacled octagonal angles, set-back octagonal drum at 6th stage with trefoil-headed openings and parapet with obelisks at angles, finialled spirelet.
W ELEVATION: 5 lancet windows to left, tower to right.
E ELEVATION: 5 lancet windows to right, door and window to stair gable at left.
N GABLE: organ chamber advanced to centre with 3-light stepped window, masked at ground floor with single storey vestry.
INTERIOR: tall cast-iron columns with foleate plaster capitals to pointed arches at aisles; waggon roof with stencilled decoration representing land, sea and sky; imposing timber organ screen, pulpit, and choir rails, communion seat with linen fold panels.
CHURCH HALL: single storey, rectangular-plan, stugged and snecked rubble, slate roof, adjoining vestry. Later addition.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble boundary wall, 2 sets of gatepiers, modern iron railings.
MANSE: 2-storey, rectangular-plan, 3-bay manse. Harled, red brick basecourse and round-headed doorcase, piended slate roof. 2 canted windows to ground floor, 3 windows to 1st. Brick-coped end stacks, cut-down at W.
An ecclesiastical building in use as such. The congregation began with meetings in domestic premises in 1876, a wooden church being erected on this site in 1878. The name Livingstone Memorial United Presbyterian Church was adopted soon after (Livingstone having died in Africa in 1873), becoming the Livingstone Memorial United Free Church in 1900, and then the Livingstone Memorial Church in 1929. The manse is situated to the rear of the church.
Other nearby listed buildings