This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.61 / 55°36'36"N
Longitude: -4.1313 / 4°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 265845
OS Northings: 637219
OS Grid: NS658372
Mapcode National: GBR 3X.MPYR
Mapcode Global: WH4RM.H8Y3
Entry Name: Dungavel Prison
Listing Date: 3 June 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338261
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6612
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Avondale and Stonehouse
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1900-1912, John B Crombe, architect. Built in 3 stages, first, a 2-storey and attic 3-gabled block now in centre of building, was complete by 1904. Extension to S, 2 and 3-storey, with conical-roofed engaged lower added by 1911, and complex completed by 3-storey and attic square tower to N, 2-storey wing beyond 2-storey porch to original block and Chapel to rear of S extension. Harled, with sandstone dressings, base course, slate roofed, all windows recently replaced with double glazing in timber frames.
FRONT ELEVATION: from left corner 2-storey bay, solid parapet with moulded cope. Single windows to right, then 3-storey tower with canted bay at ground, tripartites above. Corbelled bartizans at corners, 1-storey at left, 2-storey at right (pepperpot roof removed). Crenellated parapet on corbel course. To right 1900-4 range, shorn of gables, with 2-storey porch left of centre, round arched doorway with Gibbs surround, round-headed window at first and parapet with balustrade to front. 1900-11 range to right, with stair bay on left with bipartites at first and second within arched surround, smaller bipartite at ground and balustraded parapet. 3-storey and attic engaged tower with conical roof and weathervane with ducal coronet. To right wing steps down to 2-storey angle bay. Side and rear elevations complex and undistinguished save for CHAPEL, low single storey, with 2-light lancets lighting duk's dais at rear, then 3 pairs bipartites, then side-set gabled bellcote with cross finial and tiny buttressed chancel with three-tier light window in gable, gabled vestry to left of chancel. All chapel windows leaded in geometric pattern.
INTERIORS: much altered, but some original cornices, especially in S wing, which appears to have been ducal private apartments, and contains elaborate fire staircase. In service wing to N 3 glazed roofs, 2 with steel, 1 with timber framing, latter with unusual trusses.
CHAPEL INTERIOR: panelled timber screen separates dais from body of Chapel. Pine pulpit with ducal armorial panel. Gothic organ case in chancel, which has raised diaper marble floor. Wagon roof with exposed timbers, main couples supported on corbels carved with appropriate words such as love, faith, long suffering.
TERRACE: along W front of house terrace with balustrade along whole length of house.
Built as Dungavel Lodge for the Duke of Hamilton to designs by the estate architect. Used as base by the Marquis of Clydesdale for flying in the inter-war years, and the destination of Rudolph Hess's abortive flight to meet the Duke in 1941. During the Second World War Dungavel was used as a hospital, later as a National Coal Board Training Centre and since 1982 as a prison.
Other nearby listed buildings