This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0547 / 56°3'17"N
Longitude: -3.6562 / 3°39'22"W
OS Eastings: 296952
OS Northings: 685889
OS Grid: NS969858
Mapcode National: GBR 1Q.QDLC
Mapcode Global: WH5QV.T24P
Entry Name: Blair Castle, Stable Block
Listing Date: 1 June 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338270
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6618
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1800-1830 classical stable block, contemporary with Blair Castle to W. L-plan, with grand, pedimented facades to principal S elevation of S range (looking out to the Forth), and W elevation of W range (facing the house): 2 subsidiary single-storey wings: E wing forming U-plan with main S and W ranges, contemporary with the rest of the stable block; and a later, brick-built single-storey courtyard wing extending N from centre of rear elevation of N from centre of rear elevation of W range, linked to centre of rear elevation of E wing.
Light grey ashlar to principal (S and W) elevations, and to dressings and quoins on subsidiary elevations, of roughly droved sandstone; slated piend roofs; axial ridge stacks.
S RANGE: single-storey and loft, symmetrical, tri-partite S elevation, centre section set-back, mirroring tri-partite elevation of house (which has centre bay advanced). Centre, set-back section with giant ached centre entrance pend, with glazed and timber Doicletian window over 2-leaf boarded doors on sliding tracks (doors would originally have been hinged. Doicletian window glazed with multi-paned timber sash and case windows. Single doors with simple letterbox fanlights flanking at ground floor; single, square loft openings flanking above. Fireplace and flue in SE corner of centre (pend room inside).
Advanced bays to either side: symmetrical, with single 12-pane sash and case windows set in recessed, over-arched bays at grond floor, single square loft openings above (all loft openings boarded up, 1993).
2 small cast-iron rooflights in S slope of roof over centre block, single cast-iron roof-light over left-hand advanced bay to left; 2 small pipe flues in S slope of roof. 2 doors in W gable: to left taller door for mounted horses, to right, pedestrian door.
Openings to rear boarded up, except for centre door at ground, in re-entrant angle with single-storey brick-built E rear wing. Single-storey and loft, S RANGE, S ELEVATION: 5-bay symmetrical elevation, centre pedimented bay projecting, with single, pedestrian door at ground (altered from original, larger pend opening at early date); bi-partite, flanked by single windos at loft above (these windows altered from original), this advanced bay breaking through eaves, pediment with circular blind opening in pediment head raised over wallhead, with corniced stack behind. 2 bays to either side, with single windows set in recessed arched bays (windows boarded up, presumably 12-pane sash and case); 2 bi-partite windows to either side with lintels breaking through eaves, and slightly raised cat-slide roofs (later alterations).
INTERIOR: original timber loose-boxes with serpentine-topped stalls.
E WING: single-storey squared rubble, piended slate roof, various openings, single ridge stack.
Rubble-built WALL to same height as wall-head of single-storey E wing partially encloses N side, forming a courtyard: ?bee-boles in N side; this wall presumably originally enclosed a walled garden to the N of the stable block (distinct from the separate wallhed garden to the S).
Late, circa 1930's brick-built wing links principal, W range, to rear, E wing.
Other nearby listed buildings