This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0287 / 56°1'43"N
Longitude: -3.8945 / 3°53'40"W
OS Eastings: 282036
OS Northings: 683372
OS Grid: NS820833
Mapcode National: GBR 1F.S123
Mapcode Global: WH4PM.4QRQ
Entry Name: Denovan House, Dunipace
Listing Date: 6 February 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338289
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6631
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Denny and Banknock
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
2-storey and basement villa, with complex building sequence, largely of mid 19th century appearance, but incorporating periods of earlier and later work. Circa mid-later 18th century Georgian villa, possibly of 2 different dates at core, substantially recast in 1843-45 in the manner of Burn and Bryce (Jacobethan style), with entirely new S front and partial interior remodelling. Large 1911 additions to rear (N).
1840'S ELEVATIONS: cream polished ashlar with channelled rustication at ground floor, long and short rusticated quoins, plinth and basecourse, cornice between ground and 1st floors; plain frieze swept to dentilled cornice, with vigorously moulded consoles in frieze above windows, advanced bays pedimented or with blocking courses, plain parapet elsewhere; side (E and W) elevations of 1840's period of finely-
tooled squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Architraved single and tripartite windows; projecting window bays with openwork strapwork parapets. Timber sash and case windows, each sash in 1840's windows divided horizontally into 2 panes. Shallow-pitched slated roofs; grouped, square-shafted ashlar stacks.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay, full-height pedimented projecting bay to left, 2-window set-back centre, overlaid to left with entrance porch; advanced full-height rectangular bay to right. Porch with lugged and cured 'baroque' style architraved doorpiece, moulded keystone and openwork parapet; ashlar seat within porch to left.
Georgian elevations visible only to left of side (W) elevation and to right of rear (N) elevation; large harled additions of 1911 period mask rear elevation to left.
CONSERVATORY: to right of S front, attached to E gable. Circa later 19th century, built over site of side wing: timber and cast-iron with mullioned windows with leaded upper lights. Pitched roof, with pitched-roofed clerestory with cast-iron cresting at ridge; apex finial to SW gable.
INTERIOR: 3 unaltered principal rooms at ground floor: to E a DRAWING ROOM with Caroline-style interior, including moulded door architraves with curved and corniced Caroline-style interior, including moulded door architraves with curved and corniced Caroline-style over-doors, doors and cupboard doors panelled below, glazed over dado in geometrical designs; baroque marble chimneypiece with ionic fluted column stiles with canted volutes, pulvinated frieze, dentiled and corniced entablature, and relief carvings to slip, central tablet with high-relief mask carving, floral swags flanking, original brass of grate and gilt rococco mirror overmantel (painted); cornice and gilt plasterwork border to ceiling; 4 original pendant lights; 19th century curtains with pelments.
To W, BILLIARD and DINING ROOMS, both with very elaborate Jacobethan-style interior schemes, remodelled during 1840s period. DINING ROOM: very elaborate Jacobethan strapwork cornice and vigorously moulded plasterwork ceiling; chimneypiece circa 1800, recast in 1840's wsith large consoles and mouldings in Jacobethan manner, original circa 1800 brass grate; 19th century curtains with pelmets; black and gold paint scheme. BILLIARD ROOM: similar to dinning room, with strapwork plasterwork cornice; some alterations.
STAIR HALL: remodelled in 1840's: half-height wainscot, panelled 2-leaf doors, architraves and Caroline-style overdoors; Jacobethan-style plasterwork ceiling. Timber staircase with 6-light stained glass windows at half-landing. Chimneypiece removed to steading (1992).
Large cast-iron safe in (modernised kitchen adjacent to dining room. FIRST FLOOR bedrooms simpler, proportions and joinery revealing 2 different periods: circa 1840's remodelling largely at W rooms, with floor stepping down and ceiling-heights reduced in Georgian rooms to E. Georgian kitchen in basement to E, and ex situ pieces of Georgian grates.
GATEPIERS: pair short cream polished ashlar piers of 1843-45 period on entrance to house, square-plan with arched recessed planes to each elevation, arches with keyblocks at apices, and rounded corniced caps.
Lands belongs to James Johnstone of Denovan until Mr James Grahasm Adam acquired a portion of the estate, with a bleachfield, and altered and hugely extended the house in 1843-5. The Mitchells of Carron Iron Co also once lived here.
Mid 19th century stables and offices to N now altered.
Plan RHP 1497A shows a house at the centre of radiating formal avenues to each point on the compass, and diagonally, like a saltire cross, and with a bleachfield to the E.