This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0511 / 56°3'3"N
Longitude: -3.3173 / 3°19'2"W
OS Eastings: 318051
OS Northings: 685027
OS Grid: NT180850
Mapcode National: GBR 23.QQPW
Mapcode Global: WH6S5.05MJ
Entry Name: Aberdour, Inverkeithing Road, St Colme House North Entrance Gate Lodge Including Quadrant Walls with Railings, Piers and Gates
Listing Date: 1 June 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338291
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6633
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Parish: Aberdour (Fife)
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1907 with later additions. Single storey 3-bay original L-plan gatelodge with late 20th century extension to S creating T-plan. Squared, snecked, tooled sandstone, polished ashlar dressings. Long and short detailing to arises and window margins.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced gabled entrance porch to off-centre left; centred door with carved, dated and initialised shield 'M 1907' set above, window to left return. Bipartite window setback close to porch to left. Advanced gabled wing to right; centred bipartite window. Modern extension to far right.
N ELEVATION: window to right and left. Recessed extension to far left; 3 equally arranged small narrow windows.
S ELEVATION: partially seen, (2002). Late 20th century gabled extension with window.
Replica timber panelled door, predominantly 10-pane timber sash and case windows, 6 lower and 4 upper panes. Pitched grey slate roof, overhanging eaves with exposed rafters. Corniced bargeboards to gables, ball and spike finials to W and S gable apex. Corniced gable apex stack with clay cans to N and E. Shouldered, corniced elongated stack with clay cans to advanced W section. Corniced timber gutters.
QUADRANT WALLS WITH RAILINGS, PIERS AND GATES:
J Maitland and Wardrop, 1870s. Pair of highly decorative cast and wrought iron gates; gold painted coronet to centre, radiating spokes terminating with arrow-head motif, (similar to gates designed for Moray Gate Lodges in Wester Aberdour and Darnaway Castle, Morayshire, see separate listings). Pair of ashlar gatepiers; chamfered square-plan; plinth, corniced cap surmounted by ball finial. Flanking low, snecked and tooled stone quadrant wall, chamfered ashlar coping surmounted by simple low cast-iron railings interspersed with 4 decorative cast iron panels, 4 support railings with decorative cast- iron console brackets fixed to ground behind, surmounted by golden painted urns. Terminating pair of piers, same as gatepiers without ball finials.
NOTES: B-Group with St Colme House, St Colme House Coach House and Sundial , all Dalgety Parish and St Colme House Dovecot. Aberdour and surrounding land is divided between the old feudal estates of the Earls of Morton (Easter Aberdour) and the Earls of Moray (Wester Aberdour). St Colme Gate Lodge stands at the entrance to St Colme House (see separate listing), the house was the residence of the Earl of Moray's chief factor from the 1830s up until the 1960s. The house and lodge are situated to the northern periphery of the former Moray estate at Donibristle (the estate was sold off during the 1960s for housing development). The head factor or 'his Lordship's commissioner' as he was known, not only presided over the 2 thousand acres of parkland at Donibristle but also had overall responsibility for the Earl's entire 7 to 8,000 acres of land within Fife. St Colme House was largely extended and rebuilt in the 1830s to reflect the status of its new occupier. The 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map show that a smaller lodge was originally sited to the same position as the present 1907 lodge. The gates, gatepiers and railings were erected in 1870 and share the same motifs employed to the gates and gatepiers erected in the same year at the East Lodge to the Donibristle Estate in Wester Aberdour (see separate listing), both sets of gates were designed by J Maitland and Wardrop. The stylistic detailing employed to both sets of gates with the centralised coronet of the Moray family can also be found at gates to the Earl of Moray's principal seat of Darnaway Castle in Morayshire (see separate listing). In the 1960s at the time the Moray Donibristle Estate was sold off, the British Petroleum Company acquired St Colme House and St Colme North Entrance. The large Braefoot Oil Plant is situated adjacent to St Colme House on the coastline. The house is now used as a training centre for workers in the oil industry, the caretaker to the house occupies the lodge (2002).
Other nearby listed buildings