This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0659 / 56°3'57"N
Longitude: -3.242 / 3°14'31"W
OS Eastings: 322768
OS Northings: 686595
OS Grid: NT227865
Mapcode National: GBR 26.PX6R
Mapcode Global: WH6S0.5SFN
Entry Name: Grange Road, Grange Distillery, Old Office House with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 27 March 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338341
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6671
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Early 19th century. 2-storey with basement as 3-storey on falling ground to rear, 3-bay house incorporating office. Dressed ashlar with long and shortwork quoins.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 3 steps lead to centre deep-set panelled door with radial-astragalled fanlight in Doric-columned doorcase, windows in flanking bays, small window at ground right lighting basement and moulded chamfer to outer right corner; regular bays at 1st floor.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: adjoining boundary wall of Grange Distillery (listed separately) to right. Ground floor with blocked windows at centre and in flanking bays, regular bays at 1st and 2nd floors, modern rooflight at centre above flanked by 19th century rooflights.
NW ELEVATION: door under relieving arch to left of centre within single storey pitch-roofed kitchen wing being rebuilt (1994).
SE ELEVATION: basement door to left with blocked window at approximate centre and further window to right; window to left at ground and 1st floor.
12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans and ashlar coped skews.
INTERIOR: radial-astragalled fanlight over panelled interior door in vestibule with delicate cornicing and ceiling plasterwork of classical design. Original office retaining locking cupboard with cash drawers and pigeon-hole shelving. Principal room with timber pilasters and Ionic cornice, arched-alcove and timber and gesso fireplace with classical swags, urns and cornicing. Cast-iron fireplaces (1 with pot-stand), working shutters, plain timber panelling and curved stone stair with plain cast-iron balusters and timber handrail.
BOUNDARY WALLS: saddleback-coped rubble boundary walls.
Barnard mentions this building, "The old-fashioned mansion, formerly the residence of the proprietor of the Distillery, has now been turned into fine offices for the clerks, managers and principals", therefore it is possible that the house dates from 1806 when the distillery was rebuilt.
Grange Distillery started in 1767 as a brewery under the proprietorship of Messrs. Boog and Thomson, in 1786 it was converted to a distillery and Messrs. Young became involved in the business which was licensed to William Young & Company in 1813 and was still operating in 1986. The distillery extended across a 6 acre site, having its own coopers, joiners, stables, fire-engine, gasworks and excisemen, feeding byres, malt barn and bonded warehouses; at its height 260,000 gallons of lowland malt were produced annually. The NSA reports that the distillery provided regular employment for approximately 100 men and 50 horses, and that "notwithstanding the nature of their employment, the men, in general, are sober and steady".
The Young family owned extensive property in and around Burntisland, William Young of Dunearn becoming provost (1831-34 and 1848-51). They were popular in the town, and in 1869 presented the Music Hall (Thistle Street) to the people of the Burgh. The family graves are in the grave yard of the old Kirk at Kirkton.
The Warehouse, Long Byre, Grange Flats, Grange Distillery Cottage and Main Gateway are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings