This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7666 / 55°45'59"N
Longitude: -2.1098 / 2°6'35"W
OS Eastings: 393208
OS Northings: 652584
OS Grid: NT932525
Mapcode National: GBR F1QR.1P
Mapcode Global: WH9YH.KBK4
Entry Name: Paxton South Mains Including Farmhouse, Steading, Boundary Walls, Railings, Pier, Gatepiers and Gate
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338529
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6817
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Earlier 19th century with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical, 2-storey, 3-bay house with flat-roofed classical porch to front; long, single storey, rectangular-plan range at rear (incorporating ancillary structure); single storey with attic block in rear re-entrant angle. Squared and coursed tooled pink sandstone rubble; rubble to sides and rear; ashlar dressings. Base course; droved quoins and long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills. Remains of courtyard steading at rear.
FARMHOUSE, S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: corniced, flat-roofed ashlar porch projecting at centre with panelled angle pilasters flanking timber flush panelled door; 2-pane letterbox fanlight. Single windows flanking porch at ground; single windows in all bays at 1st floor. W (SIDE) ELEVATION: principal block to right with single windows at both floors to right. Lower block adjoined to left with single window centred at ground; gabled sandstone dormerhead to single window breaking eaves above. Range recessed to left with lean-to porch projecting to right; gabled sandstone dormerhead to bipartite window breaking eaves above; single window at ground to left; single storey ancillary structure to outer left. N (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen 1999. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: principal block to left with single window at ground to left. Lower range adjoined to right with single openings at ground; gabled sandstone dormerheads to windows breaking eaves above; single storey ancillary structure to outer right.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof. Corniced wallhead stacks to principal block; apex stack at rear; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
STEADING, E RANGE: single storey, rectangular-plan range adjoining house, enclosing courtyard to E. Tooled sandstone rubble; tooled dressings. W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: timber door at centre; flanking single windows; further openings to outer left; house adjoined to outer right. 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
W RANGE: irregular range enclosing courtyard to W with 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan cartshed and granary to outer left; 2-storey, 6-bay block at centre; single storey, L-plan range to outer right. Tooled sandstone rubble; tooled dressings. E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: cartshed and granary with 4 arched cart openings at ground; square-headed door to outer right; single windows in 3 bays above. Irregularly fenestrated 6-bay range adjoined to right. Single storey range to outer right with square-headed door to outer left. Corrugated-iron roof to cartshed and granary; grey slate roofs to remainder. INTERIORS: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, PIER, GATEPIERS AND GATE: low coped walls partially enclosing site; spearheaded iron railings to front. Coped, square-plan pier to outer right with post box set within (mutual with West Lodge). Coped, square-plan gatepiers flanking central pedestrian entrance with 2-leaf, spearheaded iron gate. Coped, square-plan gatepiers flanking vehicular entrance to left; modern gate. Corniced, square-plan gatepiers flanking pedestrian entrance to side; shallow pyramidal caps; modern gate. Circular-plan sandstone rubble gatepiers and squat quadrant walls flanking farm entrance to outer left.
Set opposite the entrance to Paxton House - see separate list entry. A good example of a an earlier 19th century, plain traditional farmhouse and the remains of its courtyard steading (the N range having been replaced). Rutherfurd's notes a Mr John Nisbet as farmer here in 1866.
Other nearby listed buildings