This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 58.5293 / 58°31'45"N
Longitude: -4.2093 / 4°12'33"W
OS Eastings: 271450
OS Northings: 962248
OS Grid: NC714622
Mapcode National: GBR H6Z5.W0C
Mapcode Global: WH498.9WS7
Entry Name: Bettyhill Farr Old Church (Former Church of Scotland Parish Church) and Burial Ground
Listing Date: 3 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338962
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7156
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: North, West and Central Sutherland
Traditional County: Sutherland
1774. Interior altered 1882. Tall rectangular church, harled with painted ashlar reveals (some rendered). Symmetrical south elevation with 2 long centre windows with mulit-pane glazing. Flanking ground floor and gallery windows. Single long window, detailed as in south elevation, in centre north elevation with flanking ground floor windows; 12-pane glazing; 1st floor gallery entrances in east and west gables,
reached by forestairs over-sailing similar ground floor entrances.
Bellcote at east gable; ball finial at west; slate roof with small triangular vent in south.
Interior: imposing hexagonal panelled pulpit dated 1774, with panelled backboard and hexagonal sounding board with deeply moulded rim. Backboard contained within fluted Corinthian pilasters, with centre round-headed keystoned blind arch supported on half pilasters; carved baluster to stair with end ball finials. Flanking late 19th century
oil lamps on decorative brass wall brackets.
Burial Ground: rubble walled burial ground with interesting 18th and 19th century tomb stones.
No longer in ecclesiastical use; serves as Farr Museum. Seating Removed. Pulpit initialled and dated: MGM 1774 for Master George Munro. The Rev. George Munro graduated at King's College, Aberdeen (denoted by the title Master) and was the Minister of Farr at the time the church was built, dying there in 1779. There is a memorial to him in the
burial ground. Former galleries removed and party walls inserted reducing the size of the interior, in 1882. Very fine collection of 17th and 18th century tomb stones from church yard housed in church. Cross slab in burial ground is Scheduled Ancient Monument No 1889.
Other nearby listed buildings