This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8519 / 55°51'6"N
Longitude: -4.8846 / 4°53'4"W
OS Eastings: 219524
OS Northings: 665838
OS Grid: NS195658
Mapcode National: GBR 30.46MG
Mapcode Global: WH2MT.Y54Q
Entry Name: Skelmorlie Castle and Courtyard Buildings
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 339126
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7281
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: North Coast and Cumbraes
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1502 rectangular-plan 3-storey and attic tower house, 17th and 19th century courtyard buildings to south; alterations 1856 and 1864 when large baronial wings were added to south and to west of tower- latter wing removed and west wall of tower house re-modelled after 1959 fire; restoration completed 1962 by Noad and Wallace of Glasgow.
Tower is harled, remainder red rubble, all with red ashlar dressings and mostly crow-stepped gables.
TOWER: north-facing inserted doorway below 1856 crest, and rebuilt wallhead stack, porch to south; fenestration is altered and asymmetrical - mostly small-paned sashes; conical-roofed bartizan over 2 diagonally opposite angles, lean-to at east and massive apex stack. Interior mostly 1962.
SOUTH WING: 3 storeys with attic; single and mullioned windows (plate glass sashes); east and west long elevations each have pedimented dormer heads over 2 southmost bays and full-height twin-gabled shallow projection - one gable to west carried upward as octagonal turret; conical-roofed bartizans over 2 diagonally opposite angles: modern fire escape on south gable.
COURTYARDS: 3 2-storey ranges in joggled T-plan, with courtyard to east and to west of inner range, each court bounded on north by wall with arched entrance; both inner (?former chapel) and south west ranges essentially 17th century (possibly circa 1672 when tower interior re-modelled), each with segmental-arched dormer heads above wall-head,
and massive wall-head stack facing west court (latter walled at west also); inner range has semi-circular south gable; drum tower with gun ports at south west angle; much altered plainer south east range (presumably circa 1856 or 1864) has corresponding tower to east; (principal) east court entered from east.
1502 building for 2nd Montgomery of Skelmorlie; additions for John Grahame. Some unspecified alterations by John Honeyman, 1876, costing $800 (Honeyman and Keppie account)
Other nearby listed buildings