History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Skelmorlie Long Hill Moreland Garden Flats 1 and 2 House, Flats 1, 2 and 3

A Category B Listed Building in North Coast and Cumbraes, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8728 / 55°52'22"N

Longitude: -4.8882 / 4°53'17"W

OS Eastings: 219397

OS Northings: 668174

OS Grid: NS193681

Mapcode National: GBR GF96.3N1

Mapcode Global: WH2MM.WNG6

Entry Name: Skelmorlie Long Hill Moreland Garden Flats 1 and 2 House, Flats 1, 2 and 3

Listing Date: 23 May 1988

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 339133

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7288

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Largs

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: North Coast and Cumbraes

Parish: Largs

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Skelmorlie

Description

Dated 1872, additions 1874 and 1893 (also dated) by Honeyman

and Keppie. Now forms substantial asymmetrical, 3-storey

house. Red sandstone with polished dressings. 1862 section

essentially L-plan with projecting canted bays on south and

west facades with 2nd floor windows breaking eaves line,

pedimented heads with Thomson's initials. Additional 2nd

floor oriel on right of south facade; corbelled oriel in

re-entrant angle on west facade, also ground floor

arcaded loggia in southern bay. Roofs over projections

facetted, 1874 additions to north of first building. Large

elliptical block linked to west front at north end, extends

east forming north range. Cill bands, string courses;

aediculed windows at 1st and 2nd floor to north and south;

corbelled turret at 2nd floor masks join with first building.

New entrance 1893 at south east in projecting single storey, conical-roofed drum, 5-sided internally; Roman Doric columned

doorpiece with Jacobean detailing, obelisks and strapwork.

North and east ranges simpler. Windows mainly plate-glass

sashes except in ground floor where 8-pane pattern found.

Roofs slated and platformed some with decorative iron

brattishing and finials.

Statement of Interest

Built for Professor Thomson; added to by Laurence Robertson

in 1874-5 ($4,300) and 1893 ($2,571) Sub-divided to form

5 flats.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.