History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilbirnie Auld Kirk and Cemetery Walls

A Category A Listed Building in Kilbirnie, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7468 / 55°44'48"N

Longitude: -4.6865 / 4°41'11"W

OS Eastings: 231473

OS Northings: 653647

OS Grid: NS314536

Mapcode National: GBR 37.BXB5

Mapcode Global: WH2N9.ZTJ9

Entry Name: Kilbirnie Auld Kirk and Cemetery Walls

Listing Date: 2 December 1980

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 339393

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7492

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilbirnie

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith

Parish: Kilbirnie

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Kilbirnie

Description

Complicated building history from 1470 to 20th century. 1470
rectangular nave forms core of church, built in coursed
rubble with ashlar dressings; 2-stage tower, with set-off,
added at west in 1490. Nave and tower both with later
saw-tooth skews; birdcage bellcote at apex of tower gable,
possibly mid 18th century, has similarly detailed pyramidal
roof. All other extensions have crowstepped gables. 1597
south-east aisle built for Sir John Cunninghame of
Glengarnock castle; later, heavily moulded mullioned and
transomed window with crest in panel above. 1642 Crawford
aisle added at the north east, has paired lancet window to
gallery. To the east of the Crawford aisle a transept and
entrance were added in 1903-5, Charles S.S. Johnson of
Edinburgh, architect.
Low door at left. Shallow advanced gable to east, tripartite
with raised central light to gallery, the latter with
mouldings imitating the Cunninghame aisle window. At east,
small drum stairtower with projecting entrance and a window
breaking through the moulded eaves.
1910 organ chamber, Charles S.S. Johnson architect, added to
north west of Cunninghame aisle, continuing the details of
that aisle. Slate roofs throughout.
Interior: Crawford gallery circa 1705 for 1st Viscount
Garnock. Laird's loft with elaborate Renaissance detailing;
gallery supported on Roman Doric columns. Bowed gallery front
with paired Corinthian engaged columns dividing blind arcade;
elaborate coats of arms depicting the family lineage under
each arch; Corinthian columned screen divides gallery, bold
box cornice with highly decorative modillion cornice. Canopy
supported on giant Corinthian columns. Pulpit mainly 18th
century, incorporating earlier details, panelled pine; with
reading desk supported on brackets, with carved faces;
baptismal basin with wrought-iron bracket; panelled rear
screen with 2 Ionic pilasters supporting entablature
surmounted by Crawford and Lindsay arms in foliated design.
Above, large oak, pedimented sounding board, probably 17th
century, with carved angel, cherubs, foliage, thistle and
rose. Ladyland pew, part oak part pine, with delicate
balustrade incorporates late 17th and early 18th century
carving; bracketted hood with ealborate scrolls and pediment
with acroterion. 1903-5 balcony, linking Crawford gallery to
south wall and inserted when seating was re-organised, is
fronted with trades and crafts panels in style similar to
gallery.
Rubble-built Cemetery walls enclose some early tombstones and
the rectangular Crawford tomb of 1594 which houses recumbant
effigies of Thomas Crawford of Jordanhill and his wife Janet
Ker of Kersland.

Statement of Interest

In ecclesiastical use.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.