History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Innerwick Parish Church (Church of Scotland) with Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

A Category C Listed Building in Innerwick, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9579 / 55°57'28"N

Longitude: -2.4489 / 2°26'56"W

OS Eastings: 372069

OS Northings: 673967

OS Grid: NT720739

Mapcode National: GBR ND9Z.4TR

Mapcode Global: WH8W7.CH3Y

Entry Name: Innerwick Parish Church (Church of Scotland) with Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 339685

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7718

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Innerwick

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Dunbar and East Linton

Parish: Innerwick

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
Innerwick

Description

1784. Simple rectangular plan church. Ashlar sandstone
with broad droving; base course. Hoodmoulded lancet windows
and plain cornice.
W GABLE: ashlar, piend-roofed porch added at centre with
boarded doors to N and S returns; lancet window above.
Jettied gablehead, ashlar birdcage bellcote with cornice
dome and weathervane.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: 4 lancet windows. Relieving arch
bridging centre lancets to N, raised terrace on falling
ground suggests position of former aisle.
E GABLE: 2-stage gabled vestry and boiler room projecting
at centre on falling ground; Lancet window above on main
gable; former finial weathered away.
Wall memorials to N elevation of Hunter family. Diamond-
pane leaded glazing pattern with amber glass. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: re-organised 1870. Centre aisle. Timber floor,
ceiling of 4-centred section with cornice. White washed
walls. Doric columned pine gallery at W end. 20th century
furnishings; font 1939, lectern 1953. 5-part reredos with
linen fold panelling and 4-centred doors in outer bays,
ornately carved panels and filigreed frieze above. Decorative
brass wall sconces. Stained glass windows by William Wilson
after 1939. The Good Samaritan and Christ with Martha and
Mary.
GRAVESTONES: variety of scrolled tombstones wth memento mori,
and table tops.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: coped rubble wall to graveyard
with square rubble gatepiers to W and cast-iron gates.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.