This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8698 / 55°52'11"N
Longitude: -2.8819 / 2°52'54"W
OS Eastings: 344909
OS Northings: 664417
OS Grid: NT449644
Mapcode National: GBR 809K.WP
Mapcode Global: WH7V8.PQVJ
Entry Name: Keith Marischal House with Garden Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 339725
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7752
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
Substantial 3-storey mansion composed of several
different phases of building, resulting in a long,
irregular plan. Tower to E end, 1589, largely altered;
sizable early 19th century additions to W, closing in
2-storey service block; further alterations and
additions to N, Charles G Kinnear of Kinnear and Peddie,
1889. Harled red sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings,
rounded and chamfered arrises.
TOWER: gabled N-S block with 4-storey gabled corner
tower at SE. Irregular and altered openings. Door at
foot of corner tower. Corbelled turret in re-entrant
angle to S. Wallhead and gablehead stacks.
EARLY 19TH CENTURY BLOCK: wing of 9 3-storey bays
adjoined to W elevation of tower. Near-regular
fenestration to S elevation with forestair added and
door to penultimate bay to right in principal floor.
SERVICE BLOCK: adjoined to W end, 2-storey with jettied
parapet to N and variety of lean-to additions to outer
W; gabled dormerheads to 1st floor windows breaking
eaves to S.
1889 ADDITIONS: C G Kinnear. Advanced gabled bay to
centre of 3-storey bays on N elevation; doorway at foot
with roll-moulded surround and heavily corbelled
cornice; bipartite at 1st floor and corbelled gablehead
above. Round tower set in re-entrant angle to left of
centre; advanced 2-storey bay to left, linking with
tower, and with balustrade. Corbelled square bartizan
added to NE angle, and circular bartizan to NW angle.
Windows enlarged. 17th century armorial inserted on S
elevation of tower, transferred in 1893 from Rubislaw,
Variety of glazing patterns to sash and case windows.
Grey-green slates. Ashlar coping to later skews,
crowsteps to entrance jamb; some stone finials. Harled
gable wallhead and ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: vaulted ground floor to tower; early 18th
century panelling; painted ceiling to bedroom in NE wing
at 2nd floor; other fine decoration retained. Gothick
chimneypiece to entrance hall, Kinnear; early 19th
century marble chimneypiece to Dining Room, and beam
and penchant ceiling, Kinnear.
GARDEN WALL AND GATEPIERS: harled rubble wall adjoined
to E of house; pedestrian gateway with short flight of
steps and decorative cast-iron balustrade. Square droved
ashlar entrance piers with decorative timber "saloon"
Currently undergoing subdivision, Ben Tindall, architect
(1989). Tower built by George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal
of Scotland who acted as mediator for the marriage of
James VI and Anne of Denmark. Various material on the
foundation of the house and the ruinous former parish
church to N, circa 1200 (Scheduled Monument), can be
found in the STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, the INVENTORY and
local histories. Keith Marischal North and South Lodges
are listed separately, as is the home farm, Keith
Marischal Steading. Gardens to the south of the house
were evidently once formally landscaped.
Other nearby listed buildings