History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Strathpeffer Episcopal Church of St Anne

A Category B Listed Building in Fodderty, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5868 / 57°35'12"N

Longitude: -4.5387 / 4°32'19"W

OS Eastings: 248331

OS Northings: 858037

OS Grid: NH483580

Mapcode National: GBR H85N.V20

Mapcode Global: WH3DM.7KZQ

Entry Name: Strathpeffer Episcopal Church of St Anne

Listing Date: 31 August 1983

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 339848

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7857

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Fodderty

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh

Parish: Fodderty

Traditional County: Cromartyshire

Find accommodation in
Strathpeffer

Description

John Robertson, 1890-92 and 1898. Gothic; coursed stugged
rubble, tooled ashlar dressings. Rectangular, 4-bay church
with slightly narrower chancel at east gable; low buttressed aisle
at north elevation abutting drum bell tower at NW angle with
conical slate roof and pointed headed entrance in base;
paired and triple lancets light buttressed north aisle, with
hexafoil lights in clerestory. Large windows in east and
west gables with geometric tracery. Corbelled wall heads;
pinnacles; triangular gablet ventilators; slate roof; tiled
ridge. Interior; open roof of dressed pitch-pine with
moulded rafters springing from stone corbels; pine pews;
cedar choir and chancel furnishings. Memorial window to
Duchess of Sutherland by Powell Bros, Leeds. Other stained
glass by T C Curtis, Ward and Hughes, dated 1899 and 1900;
also by Heaton Butler
and Bayne. Marble and alabaster altar (1916); reredos and
carved pulpit of Caen stone and alabaster, also circa 1916.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Church Built as

memorial to Anne, Duchess of Sutherland and Countess of

Cromartie. Chancel added and Church completed in 1898/1900.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.