History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Balnagown Castle

A Category B Listed Building in Tain and Easter Ross, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.7495 / 57°44'58"N

Longitude: -4.0807 / 4°4'50"W

OS Eastings: 276260

OS Northings: 875208

OS Grid: NH762752

Mapcode National: GBR J897.MHG

Mapcode Global: WH4F6.9H11

Entry Name: Balnagown Castle

Listing Date: 25 March 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 339858

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7866

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmuir Easter

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Tain and Easter Ross

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Find accommodation in
Kilmuir

Description

16th/17th century L-plan tower house with 18th and 19th
century additions, including infilling of angle of L-plan
and east wing of circa 1820 said to be by James Gillespie
Graham. 3 and 4 storey castellated mansion of red coursed
rubble with tooled ashlar dressings; some rendering
simulating coursed rubble. Entrance in SE re-entrant angle
masked by glazed porch; deep 5-sided portico supported on
painted columns with crenellated finials and decorative cast-
iron spandrel-tracery masks further entrance in centre of
wide bowed bay rising full height of south elevation. Wide
3-bayed west elevation with off-centre middle bay and
flanking turrets rising above crenellated wallhead. North
elevation with variety of fenestration and central shaped
gable in 4-storey section, with battery of apex stacks.
Gothic Revival east wing of 3 storeys, single wide south
facing bay flanked by angle turrets again rising above
crenellated wallhead. Unusual large oval window to ground
floor with cross tracery Large hoodmoulded and traceried
window at 1st floor (lighting dining room) with smaller
window above with similar detailing. Gothic lancets in
turrets.
Return east elevation with asymmetrical fenestration
including one oriel, and bold NE tower with Gothic detail.
Various bartizans; ridge, end and wallhead stacks; crowsteps;
slated roofs.
Interior: ornate interior which includes 2 17th century
chimney pieces, one (from Meikle Daan, Edderton) dated 1690.
Primitive painted figures in "Trophy Room"; original vaulted
ceilings, door and chimney pieces and wallpaper in east wing.

Statement of Interest

Various marriage stones; datestone of 1672 by main entrance.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.