This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4697 / 56°28'10"N
Longitude: -4.3172 / 4°19'2"W
OS Eastings: 257345
OS Northings: 733243
OS Grid: NN573332
Mapcode National: GBR HCQM.75T
Mapcode Global: WH3L4.NNC4
Entry Name: Killin, Main Street, Killin and Ardeonaig Parish Church (Church of Scotland) Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340347
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8248
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Signed and dated 1744 by the mason Thomas Clark who built the church to a design probably by John Douglas. Killin Parish Church is composed of white harl with grey margins and the windows are predominantly round-headed with simple Y-tracery. The original octagonal plan has been masked by later additions and alterations, notably the scheme of 1831-2 which enlarged the East and West elevations. The louvred cupola from the original design remains. A focal point for Killin, the Parish Church remains a good example of an 18th century church despite its later additions. The original choice of an octagonal plan is rare and sets this building apart from many of its contemporaries.
The West elevation now provides the main entrance and was widened to the North as part of the 1831-2 scheme. The centrally-placed 2-leaf door has a keystoned clerestory window above and is flanked by a pair of smaller windows. The bellcote which contains the 1632 bell by Robert Hog is located on the central projecting gable of the North elevation. Below this, at clerestory level, is Thomas Clark's plaque, 'THO.CLARK.THE BUILDER.OF.THIS.CHURCH 1744'. It is the South elevation which most visibly retains the octagonal plan despite a later projecting single storey addition to the East end (rebuilt in 2004 with corrugated iron roof). It has a central tripartite bay window with long keystoned round-headed windows.
There is a section of rubble stone boundary wall to the South West.
The pulpit has been relocated from the South and is now at the East end of the church. Entrance is through a flat-roofed vestibule. There are painted walls and ceiling and the ceiling is supported by 2 fluted cast-iron columns added as part of the 1831-2 work. There is a laird's loft to the North which has a panelled balcony with engaged pilasters. To the East is an oak communion table and pulpit. Next to these is an exceptional 7-sided medieval stone font mounted on a later polygonal stone shaft and base. The windows mostly have simple coloured glass panels, however, there are 3 stained glass windows. There is a small stained glass panel to the W, a window to the E of 1901 and a South window by R Douglas McLundie of 1948. There are timber pews.
Timber windows as described above. Grey slates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
The church was built to replace an older building formerly situated near the present graveyard. The graveyard is located to the North of the church (see separate listing). Clark also built chapels-of-ease at Ardeonaig and Strathfillan (Kirkton) neither of which is still extant. The article in the Proceedings of Antiquaries of Scotland notes that the author was not aware of another seven-sided font in Scotland and that at the time of writing the font was lying half-buried in the graveyard. The bell came from the previous church.
Other nearby listed buildings