This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4706 / 56°28'14"N
Longitude: -4.3211 / 4°19'15"W
OS Eastings: 257111
OS Northings: 733354
OS Grid: NN571333
Mapcode National: GBR HCPM.5F1
Mapcode Global: WH3L4.LMKF
Entry Name: Killin, Invertay House, Former Manse, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340367
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8268
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Invertay House is the former manse for Killin Parish Church (dated 1744, see separate listing) and is composed of 3 bays and 2-storey and an attic. Invertay was largely built in 1806 but it is possible that the house incorporates earlier fabric, probably from around 1744 when the church was built. A map dated 1783 shows the manse in the same location. A timber verandah and canted bays windows were added in the mid to late 19th century. Invertay is an important part of the social and religious history of Killin. It is prominently sited in the village and its originally simple classical style sets it apart from other houses of it size.
Originally L-plan with later alterations and additions, Invertay's principal elevation faces East and is symmetrical. There is a central entrance with a non-traditional door flanked by tripartite canted bay windows on the ground floor. The bays are linked by a timber verandah which spans the width of the house dividing the storeys and has a decorative bargeboard. There are a pair of piended attic dormers to the outer bays and substantial gablehead stacks.
To the rear (West) elevation there is a lower projecting service wing to the right with an attached lower piend-roofed section set in the re-entrant angle. Attached to the service wing is a small corrugated iron building.
A rubble wall with rubble coping mostly encloses the site, with a pedestrian gateway to the South East and a blocked entrance in the same vicinity.
Somewhat altered, but with good timberwork. Timber staircase, shutters. Timber entrance screen with sidelights and fanlights.
White harl to all elevations except principal elevation where the harl has been removed. Recently (2005) re-roofed in slate (replacing modern felt roof tiles) laid in diminishing courses. Timber sash and case windows, mostly 2-pane over 2-pane.
Invertay House ceased being a manse in the early 1960s. Assuming that the present building incorporates fabric from the original manse, it was the home of Reverend James Stewart, translator of the New testament into Gaelic (see separate listing of monument to James Stewart in Killin).
Other nearby listed buildings