This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4665 / 56°27'59"N
Longitude: -4.3103 / 4°18'37"W
OS Eastings: 257760
OS Northings: 732881
OS Grid: NN577328
Mapcode National: GBR HCQM.JBJ
Mapcode Global: WH3L4.RQNK
Entry Name: Killin, Kinnell House Including Walled Garden and Ancillary Buildings
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340386
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8283
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
A former seat of the Macnab clan, it is likely that Kinnell House contains fabric dating back to circa 1580, although its present 2-storey and attic 5-bay form was probably created in the 18th century. A single storey and attic wing was added to the East circa 1850 and it is probable that the timber bargeboards also date from this period. The house is set within the South-Eastern wall of a large rectangular plan walled garden. Kinnell House is an important part of Macnab clan history and is of a traditional form with its central projecting gable. It has much simple architectural character and its 5-bay form sets it apart from the other 3-bay houses in the district of this type. It has a fine interior. The walled garden was an important integral part of the estate and this example, unusually, retains the heating equipment (although the resultant piping is no longer extant).
The (South East) principal elevation consists of a central advanced single bay entrance gable with a tall gable stack flanked by a pair of bays, that to the left with elongated windows to the 1st floor. To the attic floor on the right is a gabled dormer with a bipartite window. There are thackstoned gable stacks to the South West and North East elevations. To the far right there is a single storey and attic wing added sympathetically in 1923. To the far left is a heavily restored (in the late 20th century) long lean-to timber vinery glasshouse. There are only a few remnants remaining of the once-huge Black Hamburg vine which was brought from Auchlyne in 1832.
To the rear (North West) elevation there is a central 2-bay piended section which breaks the eaves. To the left is a 2-bay section and to the right is a recessed section which is blank save for a low ground floor window.
There is a predominantly simple interior which retains much of its architectural character. There is a timber turnpike staircase and 6-panel timber doors. The library has a good decorative scheme which includes a decorative cornice, timber chimneypiece with reed pilasters, shell motifs and a central panel with a lady in classical dress reputed to be Lady Hamilton (information from present owner). This is flanked by timber bookshelves. Facing the windows is a recess supported by classical columns with plaster heads above and which formerly contained a Raeburn painting (now no longer part of the house contents). The heads may be a representation of the heads brought back from Lochearn when the Macnab sons raided a rival clan.
Predominantly white harl. Predominantly timber sash and case windows, 6-pane over 6-pane. Slate roof.
WALLED GARDEN AND ANCILLARY BUILDINGS
The rectangular walled garden is composed of high stone rubble walls. There is an arched opening in the South East wall. Running from the house itself to the arched opening is a series of terraced lean-to rubble-built buildings with slate roofs. One of these buildings contains the cast-iron heating equipment which would have heated the vinery (on the opposite side of the wall) and possibly the other walls of the garden itself.
Part of a B-group with 1st set of Urn Gatepiers on West Drive, Kinnell Urn Gatepiers on West Drive, Lion Gatepiers on West Drive, Ball Finial Gatepiers on South Drive, Yellow Cottage, Kinnell House Steading, Kinnell House Ice House.
Other nearby listed buildings