History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Easter Elchies House

A Category B Listed Building in Speyside Glenlivet, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4846 / 57°29'4"N

Longitude: -3.2035 / 3°12'12"W

OS Eastings: 327940

OS Northings: 844451

OS Grid: NJ279444

Mapcode National: GBR L8GY.76Z

Mapcode Global: WH6K7.R4QL

Entry Name: Easter Elchies House

Listing Date: 9 November 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 340658

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8497

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Knockando

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet

Parish: Knockando

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Craigellachie

Description

Dated 1700, Laird's house with some minor mid-19th century
alterations; extensive restoration 1985. 3-storey and attic,
regular 4-bay W front with rear wing rising full height
forming T-plan. Modern single storey octagonal glazed office
block linked to S gable by glazed corridor. Modern harl,
polished ashlar dressings and margins, some rendered margins.
Centre 2 bays rise above walhead into crowstepped gable with
2 diminutive attic windows, datestone and apex stack. Off-
centre entrance with moulded doorpiece; enlarged outer ground
floor windows; 2 outer 2nd floor windows break wallhead under
mid-19th century gablets. Entrance in E wall of return gable;
corbelled stair turret (mid-19th century, or mid-19th
century re-modelling) rises from 1st floor in NE re-entrant
angle with conical bellcast slated roof. 12-pane glazing;
moulded eaves cornice; Banffshire slate roof.
1985 octagonal single storey glazed office block linked to S
gable by single bay corridor with entrance. Banffshire slate
roof.
INTERIOR: largely re-modelled in 1985.

Statement of Interest

Extensive additions and re-casting of entrance to NE in mid

19th century designed by A and W Reid (plans dated 1848,

1856, 1893 on display in house). These additions demolished

and house, as restored in 1985, closely resembles 1700

original.

Datestone reads: '1 JPG 700' probably for John Patrick Grant.

Easter Elchies House now offices and visitors' centre for

Macallan Distillery.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.