This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4689 / 57°28'7"N
Longitude: -3.358 / 3°21'28"W
OS Eastings: 318643
OS Northings: 842881
OS Grid: NJ186428
Mapcode National: GBR L82Z.GH5
Mapcode Global: WH6K5.DJ5M
Entry Name: Knockando Watch House and Burial Ground to Parish Church
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340659
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8498
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Morayshire
1757 on site of earlier church, repaired 1832, William
Robertson, Elgin; additions and re-modelling John Robertson,
Inverness, 1904-6. Harled, tooled ashlar margins and
Original simple rectangular church with long elevations N and S.
fronted at S by 1904-6 4-bay aisle. Pointed-headed entrance
at SW in gabled bay. 2-stage drumtower in re-entrant angle
with belfry in louvred upper stage under conical slated roof.
3 cusped 2-light windows in centre of S elevation with
further large traceried window breaking wallhead in gabled
end bay. Similar 2-light fenestration in 4-bay N elevation.
Apse at E gable; pointed-headed entrance in E return gable of
Small single storey bowed vestry projects at W.
Apex crosses; slate roofs.
INTERIOR: re-modelled interior with Gothic detailing. E apse
houses organ; richly carved communion table and pulpit,
with bas-relief panels. Cluster pedestal to pulpit, Gothic
detailing to handrail. S aisle accommodates wide gallery,
further gallery at W, both with cusped panelled front; pine
pews. Braced rafter roof.
Single stained glass window in N wall bay, Douglas Strachan,
WATCH HOUSE: small rectangular early 19th century, harl
pointed rubble watch house with doorway in gable and single
window. Local slate roof.
BURIAL GROUND: large irregular rubble walled burial ground;
rubble wall with tooled cope (1822). Pair carriage entrances
at E, each with bullfaced rubble gatepiers and pair spearhead
Mainly 19th and 20th century tombstones.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Symbol stones set against E wall of burial ground are
Enlarged 1904-5 at cost of ?1,000. ?500 donated by Lord Mount
Stephen and Strathcona, formerly Donald A Smith of Dufftown,
whose parents lived in Archiestown 1841-circa 1860.
Douglas Strachan window in memory of Lieut L R Cumming,
killed in action 1914. Scheduled Ancient Monument, No 1225.
Other nearby listed buildings