This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.6246 / 57°37'28"N
Longitude: -3.6246 / 3°37'28"W
OS Eastings: 303071
OS Northings: 860564
OS Grid: NJ030605
Mapcode National: GBR K8FK.SGD
Mapcode Global: WH5H4.9M88
Entry Name: Invererne House, Home Farm Steading with Former Stables and Carriage Houses and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 25 April 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340886
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8693
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forres
Traditional County: Morayshire
Probably 1818. Courtyard steading, single storey and attic with various modern alterations. Pinned tooled ashlar main E frontage, harl pointed rubble elsewhere with some modern harling, tooled and polished ashlar dresings and margins. 9-bay E front with slightly advanced and gabled outer bays (carriage houses) with centre square 2-storey docevote tower; 3 intermediate bays at right as cottage with angle pilasters, alighting ledge fronting (blocked) flightholes, shallow pyramidal roof with deep eaves and apex cupola with weathervane. Dwelling and former stables with pointed-headed doorways and flanking windows with contrasting painted margins. S elevation has tall centre basket-arched entrance to inner court flanked at left by 3 lower, but similar, arched cart-bays and at right 3-bay cottage with entrance masked by modern porch and 2 modern box dormers. N elevation has 5-bay cottage range with modern harling and 2 piended dormers breaking wallhead.
Varied glazing. Ridge stacks; slate roofs.
WALLED GARDEN: 1825. Substantial rubble walled garden at N side of stable/steading range. Rubble walls, tooled cope.
Steading presumed to have been built by General William
Grant at the same time as he built Invererne House. Grant
of Tannachy papers reveal repairs in 1822 and 'raising
and causewaying the inside of the Square of Tannachy
House' in 1823 (laying cobbles). Walled garden of 4 roods
(1 acre approx.), the walling cost $40.8s.10 1/2d; it was
checked 11 Nov 1825 by Mr Peter Thomson, Wright, Forres
and Alex Cumming, mason.
Invererne was called Tannachy until circa 1834.
Other nearby listed buildings