This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2542 / 56°15'15"N
Longitude: -3.2468 / 3°14'48"W
OS Eastings: 322848
OS Northings: 707552
OS Grid: NO228075
Mapcode National: GBR 26.9VZM
Mapcode Global: WH6R7.3259
Entry Name: House of Falkland Estate, Tyndall Bruce Monument on Black Hill
Listing Date: 1 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340972
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8767
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1855. Tall tapering 2-stage obelisk monument on graduated circular base. Squared, stugged rubble. Rusticated margins. Segmental-arched entrance opening to S with flanking narrow round-arched slit openings. Projecting ashlar band course above base. Rectangular memorial plaque to N.
This tall landmark monument was built by Margaret Tyndall Bruce as a memorial to her husband, Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce. Sited at the top of Black Hill, the monument is prominent in the surrounding landscape and is a continuing reminder of the importance of Tyndall Bruce to the House of Falkland Estate (see below). The design has little ornamentation except the rusticated margins and this is appropriate to its position in the wilder landscape of the estate.
Margaret Bruce was the owner of House of Falkland Estate from 1826 until her death in 1867. She married Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce in 1828. The couple were responsible for building the current House of Falkland (see separate listing), designed by William Burn in 1839-44. They also made a number of improvements to the surrounding landscape including building a number of bridges over the Mill and Maspie Burns to allow for exploring the wider landscape, and the laying out of formal gardens. They also built the East Lodge (see separate listing).
In its present form, the House of Falkland estate dates from the early 19th century when it was acquired by John Bruce in 1821. During his time at the estate, Bruce began to improve the lands around the existing estate house, Nuthill House (now demolished), which were continued by the Tyndall Bruce's.
The 3rd Marquis of Bute bought the Estate in 1887 and further work was carried out to the house and the wider estate. The house was used as a convalescent home in the First World War and as a home for Polish Airmen in the Second World War. The House of Falkland is currently a school (2011).
(List description updated 2011).
Other nearby listed buildings