History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Upper Largo Largo Parish Church and Church Yard

A Category B Listed Building in Leven, Kennoway and Largo, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2204 / 56°13'13"N

Longitude: -2.9309 / 2°55'51"W

OS Eastings: 342369

OS Northings: 703485

OS Grid: NO423034

Mapcode National: GBR 2L.D1GN

Mapcode Global: WH7SH.YXH7

Entry Name: Upper Largo Largo Parish Church and Church Yard

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 341236

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8989

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Largo

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo

Parish: Largo

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kirkton of Largo

Description

Alexander Leslie, architect 1817 incorporating part of 17th century chancel and tower dated 1623. 1826: an aisle belonging to old church was incorporated. Renovated 1894 by Honeyman and Keppie, further restoration 1965 by L A Roland and Partners. Cruciform plan with various additions with Decorated and perpendicular Gothic detailing. Central tower and spire. Ashlar, with rendered chancel. Tall traceried windows in gables and some return walls either loop or perpendicular in design, hoodmoulds over windows, stepped string over window in east gable with date stone. Low crenellated parapets with squat apex and angle pinnacles. Shallow corbelled parapet to tower, facetted spire with low gabled louvered opening and weathervane. Interior: galleried at west and in transepts, with Gothic panelled gallery fronts. Low pitched, braced collar beam roof with traceried decoration. Pulpit, installed in Newburn Kirk 1815 and brought to Largo 1965, panelled with reeded pilasters supporting sounding board. A series of interesting, classical monuments, mainly to the Durham family. Circa 1808 to 1849, the early ones by J Dalziel, the later by David Ness. Stained glass in chancel and north east transept

J & W Guthrie circa 1880. Churchyard walls; a tablet states that in 1657 John Wood Esq caused the walls to be built. Rubble-built coped walls with two small, square gatehouses probably early 19th century set into walls flanking entrance at north east. There is an interesting collection of 17th, 18th and 19th century table tombs and headstones.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. There is a Pictish cross slab in the churchyard which is Scheduled Ancient Monument No 820.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.