This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2622 / 56°15'44"N
Longitude: -3.1154 / 3°6'55"W
OS Eastings: 331006
OS Northings: 708308
OS Grid: NO310083
Mapcode National: GBR 2C.9G1C
Mapcode Global: WH6R3.3VRN
Entry Name: Kingskettle, Main Street and South Street, Kettle Parish Church, Church Hall and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 1 March 1984
Last Amended: 24 February 2011
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 341281
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9031
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
George Angus, Edinburgh, dated 1832. Prominently sited Tudor Gothic parish church with Gothic church hall by David Storrar, 1880-82. T-plan church with 3-bay nave, dominant 5-stage square tower at SE, M-gable with centre porch to NW. Snecked and stugged ashlar with polished dressings, base and eaves courses. All principal openings Tudor-arched and hoodmoulded; tall stone-traceried windows; 2-stage diagonal buttresses, those at tower rising into polygonal angle strips surmounted by slender turrets. Chamfered reveals and raked cills.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal elevation to SE with projecting buttressed tower at centre comprising door at 1st stage, single lancet to stages 2 and 3, louvered tripartite opening at stage 4 surmounted by clock face breaking into blind arcade below stone lattice parapet; NE and SW faces similarly detailed but with further single lancet at 1st stage. Traceried tripartite windows flank tower at SE, with similar windows over doors at broad projecting gabled aisle bays of NE and SW elevations. Gabled NW porch with 2-leaf timber door below datestone.
Predominantly leaded multi-pane glazing patterns, some decoratively-astragalled. Slated roof. Moulded ashlar skews. Cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: (not seen 2010, information from previous list description) panelled gallery to 3 walls (blocked by lowered ceiling), pulpit. Some coloured glass (see Notes). Vestry to tower.
CHURCH HALL: single storey, rectangular-plan, stugged ashlar, Gothic-detailed church hall. Broad-gabled principal elevation to SE incorporating flat-roofed porch, hoodmoulded pointed-arch doorway with 2-leaf boarded timber door; 2-light traceried window above flanked by small marble memorial tablets all under string course forming continuous hoodmould. NE elevation with 3 windows detailed as above; rose window to NW. Little-altered interior with boarded dadoes, simple open-beam roof with decorative ventilators.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble boundary walls enclosing church and church hall.
Place of worship in use as such.
The church, with its fine tower, and the church hall sit within a well-defined enclosure and make a significant contribution to the streetscape at the heart of Kingskettle village.
Kettle Parish Church is now part of the Howe of Fife Parish Church which combines the congregations of Cults and Kettle, united on 7 April 1963, and those of Ladybank and Collessie, united on 7 January 1968. Groome describes the parish church as 'a handsome Gothic edifice of 1831, with a pinnacled tower, and over 1000 sittings'. He also refers the church hall 'A new session-hall and class-room were opened in 1882'. Gifford gives some interior detail, mentioning Victorian pews and stained glass including a War Memorial window of circa 1920. He also notes that the organ is by Forster & Andrews and dates from 1902. (The interior of the church was not seen in 2010).
The architect George Angus was born at Meikleour in Perthshire in 1792. He practised from a number of addresses in Edinburgh, the earliest known date being circa 1825 at 165 Rose Street. He worked on a number of prestigious commissions including competition successes at Dundee Seminaries, 1831 and Dundee Court House and Bridewell, 1833. His church designs included Kinross Parish Church (1832) and Tulliallan Parish Church at Kincardine-on Forth (1833), both of which are very close externally to the Kingskettle design. Both of these churches are listed.
David Storrar, who designed the church hall, worked from Cupar in Fife during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. His commissions were all local, and he worked extensively at the Balbirnie Estate, Markinch. In 1884 he carried out alterations at Kettle Manse.
List description revised 2011.
Other nearby listed buildings