This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2355 / 57°14'7"N
Longitude: -3.0482 / 3°2'53"W
OS Eastings: 336822
OS Northings: 816570
OS Grid: NJ368165
Mapcode National: GBR L9VL.LB4
Mapcode Global: WH7MM.4DQK
Entry Name: Mill of Glenbuchat Including Barn and House
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 341385
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9131
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
18th century and 1829. Compact, single storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, meal mill with early (18th century) example of small rectangular-plan attached kiln on higher ground to E, and remains of metal wheel of circa 1900 at W gable, on ground falling sharply to W, forming small group with barn and 19th century house. Random and coursed, snecked rubble with ashlar wheel gable at W.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: altered broad vehicular entrance to right of centre with small square window to centre and further square opening to each floor at left. Slightly taller kiln bay to higher ground at outer right with small opening to left at ground and remains of timber vent at roof ridge.
E (ROAD) ELEVATION: single storey, steeply-gabled elevation with timber door at centre.
INTERIOR: some timber mill workings remain including hardwood gears; kiln clay lined (see Notes).
BARN: small, rectangular-plan, gabled, rubble threshing barn with corrugated roof, on ground falling sharply to W. E gable with broad boarded timber door, ball-finial and ashlar-coped skew; further door to S elevation; W elevation rebuilt.
HOUSE: simple, 3-bay house with steeply-pitched roof, catslide outshot to E (rear) and later bay to S. Part-glazed timber door with flanking windows and 3 modern cast-iron rooflights to W elevation.
INTERIOR: retaining original box beds and fire surrounds (not seen 2005).
Still part of the North Glenbuchat Estate, this rare small mill group, incorporating an early example of an integral kiln, was worked by both the father and grandfather of the current (2006) tenant. Gauldie notes that an 'innovation at end of the eighteenth century was the greatly improved kiln situated within the mill. Oats had always required careful drying to make it milleable. Jones (Water Powered Corn Mills) uses the existence of a kiln as one of the features distinguishing the 'upland' mills, where oats were ground, from 'lowland' wheat grinding mills' (p157). At one time there were three meal mills and 2 waulkmills in the glen, but by about 1900 there was just this one meal mill, which closed in 1927. John Hume includes the following description of the mill wheel and kiln 'a 6-spoke wood and iron start and awe wheel, 28 inches wide by 12 feet diameter which drove a single pair of stones. The kiln funnel is wooden, lined with clay'.
Originally three individual listings, including the 'Outbuildings' which referred to the barn and a second block between the mill and the house. This latter structure no longer exists.
Other nearby listed buildings