This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0089 / 55°0'31"N
Longitude: -3.8994 / 3°53'58"W
OS Eastings: 278623
OS Northings: 569905
OS Grid: NX786699
Mapcode National: GBR 1B6J.L8
Mapcode Global: WH4VN.2CDH
Entry Name: Kirkpatrick-Durham Parish Church (Church of Scotland) and Churchyard
Listing Date: 4 November 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 341948
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9657
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Kirkpatrick Durham
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford
Parish: Kirkpatrick Durham
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Rectangular hall church dated 1748 on N gable, with aisle and
tower to W probably of 1810 forming T-plan church. James
Turner and Joseph Douglas reroof church, restore bellcote
and complete pulpit and presenters box in 1810.
Walling rendered except N gable squared rubble, all with
raised margins and quoins of polished red sandstone;
chamfered jambs to all openings.
Original church 5-bay rectangular hall church, windows
enlarged from lancets in keeping with 19th-century addition,
timber Y-tracery. Gable-end windows 3-light lancets, to N
with heraldic roundel above inscribed VK 1748, to S with
2-bay aisle to W incorporating square bell-tower to W
buttressed gable, all of 1810. Stepped buttresses flank
round-headed doorway with fanlight, and square-headed small
pane window to 1st; blind oculus at apex. Above gable rises
single stage tower with hoodmoulded louvred openings.
Embattled parapet with pinnacles at angles. Eaves cornice
throughout, more elaborate moulding to 1810 W gable,
sandstone skews and skewputts.
INTERIOR: completely remodelled circa 1960 with screen wall
cutting off 1810 aisle. Galleries removed, pulpit resited.
Rubble-walled churchyard with mainly 18th and 19th century
stones. Good table monument to Mary Mclellan, 1697, wife of
John Nielson covenanting martyr and laird of Corsock.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The heraldic panel in
N gable has been identified as that of William Kennedy, abbot
of Crossraguel 1520-47. The slab appears to be 16th century
work with the later date 1748 incised when the slab was
incorporated in the new church building. 3 small carved oak
panels from the church dating from 1620's are now kept in the
Manse. (Inv. 313).
Other nearby listed buildings