This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9108 / 56°54'38"N
Longitude: -2.4945 / 2°29'40"W
OS Eastings: 369984
OS Northings: 780047
OS Grid: NO699800
Mapcode National: GBR X3.C5BT
Mapcode Global: WH8QK.NKBH
Entry Name: Drumtochty Castle
Listing Date: 18 August 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 341955
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9664
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Mearns
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
James Gillespie Graham circa 1810-12, large additions 1815-16, with
John Smith of Aberdeen as builder, further alterations probably also by Gillespie Graham 1839 incorporating old house of Woodstock. Late Georgian castellated, 2 storey and attic, mainly ashlar faced and
crenellated almost throughout. Main block: Entrance front on east, square corner turret on left, lower 1 window bay with square headed windows linking to stepped tripartite entrance bay, 4 centre arched porch with octagonal angle turrets, hood-moulded window of 3 pointed lights over, tall single storey 3 window hall block on right, traceried 4 centre arch 3 light windows, centre bay raised and square turret at north east angle: South front overlooking valley, central 3 window semi- circular tower with hoodmoulded ground floor windows, 4 centre arched 1st and 2nd floor windows. Corbelled and crenellated parapet encircling upper octagon with tall narrow openings and crenellated parapet with narrow pepperpot angle turrets, lower square clasping turrets with slit openings; 2 window to right linking to south east corner turret, 4 centre arched windows; 3 window to left, arched windows in giant recesses linking to quatrefoil plan 3 storey south west angle tower after Caesar's Tower at Warwick; tall narrow slit windows, 2 per segment; west elevation centre turret feature of shallow projection,
3 light staircase window with geometrical windows to left, one bay of arched windows to right, pepperpot at north west angle; lower 3 storey south west wing returns west at right angles, main part on right,
generously spaced 3 windows, all 4 centre arched, higher one bay section on left with small 2 light windows, round arched ground and 2nd, trefoiled at 1st, taller still square south west angle-turret with hoodmoulded slits, 1 window gable with 2 light hoodmould and traceried square headed windows; links to 2 storey square plan north west wing at higher level, similar fenestration ground floor, 2 pointed arched lights in square recesses at 1st floor, higher octagonal corner turret with pointed slits at north west angle. Piended slated roofs, diagonal shafted chimneys, modern stair tower in main block and north west wing.
Original glazing with wood traceried sashes, stone tracery at hall block at north east and north west wing. Extensive railed terraces on south. Interior has notable clerestoreyed and plaster-vaulted central hall. Extensively re-habilitated after use as a prep school. Jenkins and Marr
Picturesque elevated site. The building sequence does not seem to be precisely known though the 1815 16 work must account for more than half the house (probably the western hall of the main block and the western and north western wing as it specified 608' of embrasure caps: it also must include the upper stage of the central tower on the south front as it includes the 'bulls' (eyes).