This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0842 / 56°5'3"N
Longitude: -3.1739 / 3°10'26"W
OS Eastings: 327040
OS Northings: 688556
OS Grid: NT270885
Mapcode National: GBR 29.NLWY
Mapcode Global: WH6S1.6BVL
Entry Name: Grange House Including Walled Garden, Boundary Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 10 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 341989
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9696
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
16th century in origin with later 19th century addition. 2-storey with basement and attic, 3-bay laird's house with conically-roofed round tower, and taller 2-storey and basement, rectangular-plan wing. Harl, stugged squared and snecked rubble, and coursed rubble with stone margins and stugged ashlar quoins. Band courses to round tower. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: window to right of centre, and canted 3-light window to left at basement, stair oversailing basement recess to centre bay at ground with steps up to pilastered doorpiece with corniced and blocking course, panelled timber door and semicircular fanlight, canted 4-light window in bay to left and window to right, 3 small bipartite windows close to eaves at 1st floor, and pedimented timber dormer window over left bay. Later gabled wing projecting to outer right with 4-light canted window at ground and bipartite window above.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation with variety of features including 3-stage round tower (see Notes) to outer left with gunloop to NW and small windows at 2nd and 3rd stages to NE; decoratively-astragalled windows to right of centre at 1st floor and to approximate centre at 2nd floor; recessed blank gable of wing to outer left.
NE ELEVATION: 3 small windows to raised basement, windows to centre and outer right bays at ground and further window to outer right at 1st floor.
SW ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to outer left at ground floor.
Largely 4-, 12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Art Nouveau detailed coloured glass to NE windows (see above). Grey slates. Coped harl and ashlar stacks with thackstanes and cans; ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
WALLED GARDEN, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES: flat-coped rubble walls of walled garden to NE; coped rubble boundary walls and ironwork gates.
The round tower has a door lintel with the raised inscription '16 ISM 87' enclosed by the later wing. Grange House was the seat of the Kirkcaldys of Grange, and possibly built on the site of the 'Fortalice of Grange'. Reid mentions as proof the presence of a vaulted underground passage supposedly accessed from the round tower. Sir James Kirkcaldy was Lord High Treasurer of Scotland during the reign of James V, and Sir William was executed and his land forfeited in 1573.
Other nearby listed buildings