This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0892 / 56°5'20"N
Longitude: -3.195 / 3°11'42"W
OS Eastings: 325739
OS Northings: 689128
OS Grid: NT257891
Mapcode National: GBR 28.N85B
Mapcode Global: WH6S0.W6RT
Entry Name: Walled garden and gateway excluding scheduled monument SM871, Piteadie Castle, Kinghorn
Listing Date: 18 June 1979
Last Amended: 27 September 2017
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 341990
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9697
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: Scheduled Monument SM871.
In 1564 the castle belonged to William Kirkcaldy of Grange, passing in 1637 to David Boiswell of Glassmount, and subsequently to the Boswells of Balmuto. It was sold in 1671 to William Calderwood an Edinburgh burgess and apothecary whose initials appear over the gate to the walled garden. Later described in the NSA as "very entire in its ruins. This place was inhabited not more than an hundred years ago. It belongs to the Earl of Rosslyn, and has been in the family of the St Clairs for a long period".
Other nearby listed buildings