This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0671 / 56°4'1"N
Longitude: -3.1912 / 3°11'28"W
OS Eastings: 325931
OS Northings: 686674
OS Grid: NT259866
Mapcode National: GBR 28.PP0Y
Mapcode Global: WH6S0.YRJQ
Entry Name: Grangehill House with Pavilions and Link Walls, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 27 March 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 341991
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9698
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Later 18th century; ground floor re-modelled circa 1805; orangery under construction 1999. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan classical house with pedimented flanking pavilions linked by screen walls (probably added or re-fronted 1805). Painted render with ashlar dressings and raised margins; grey harl with quoin strips and painted margins to sides and rear. Eaves course and cornice. Keystones; stone mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bays grouped towards centre. Centre bay at ground with steps up to pedimented tripartite doorway, 2-leaf panelled timber door and narrow flanking lights; flanking bays each with columnar-mullioned, keystoned Venetian window in shallow round-arched recess. Regular fenestration abutting eaves course at 1st floor (small windows).
E ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to outer right at ground, and further window to outer left at 1st floor, small attic window to left in gablehead. Further openings to N elevation of projecting single storey wing behind link wall.
W ELEVATION: gabled elevation with orangery under construction at ground floor, window to outer right at 1st floor and small attic window to right in gablehead.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: stair window to projecting centre bay, and further windows to flanking bays at 1st floor. Modernised kitchen wing to ground floor.
12-, 16-, and 18-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows (except to modern kitchen windows). Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and cans; ashlar-coped skews.
PAVILIONS AND LINK WALLS: broad single bay, single storey, pedimented pavilions, each with recessed centre having single window in further recessed round arch, and blind oculus to tympanum. E pavilion with vaulted cellar and square drains below ground floor. W pavilion undergoing conversion to orangery. Deeply coped link walls with row of block-and-ball pediments (those to W to be replaced), and each with centre door, that to E blinded.
INTERIOR: some good plasterwork cornices; husk garland frieze to drawing room; pilastered chimneypiece to library.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped rubble boundary wall running S from E pavilion; droved ashlar gatepiers with later segmental arch added (original pyramidal cappings on site), and 2-leaf ironwork gates.
Formerly the property of the Bruces of Earlshall whence it came through marriage from Kirkcaldy of Grange, Grangehill House was subsequently inherited by John Bruce (1745-1826) who, as King's Printer and Stationer for Scotland, acquired the right to print Bibles, thus earning him the epithet 'Bible Bruce'. This gentleman left the estate to his niece who became the wife of Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce, commissioner of Falkland House (1839).
Other nearby listed buildings