This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0948 / 56°5'41"N
Longitude: -3.2061 / 3°12'22"W
OS Eastings: 325059
OS Northings: 689769
OS Grid: NT250897
Mapcode National: GBR 27.N5MR
Mapcode Global: WH6S0.Q2GG
Entry Name: Nether Pitteadie (Formerly North Pitteadie Farm) Including Dovecot, Walled Garden and Ancillary Buildings, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 10 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 341992
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9699
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1685 (see Notes); pavilions circa 1800; pedimented dormerheads added 1869. 2-storey, 4-bay, crowstepped house with single storey pavilions and rear courtyard. Harled with rusticated and droved quoins, and dressed margins. Base and eaves courses. Corniced and pedimented doorway, stone pedimented windowheads; stone transoms and mullions and chamfered arrises.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: doorway in bay to outer left with elaborate carved pediment and flanking scrollwork (re-cut) dated 1685, and 2-leaf panelled timber door; 3 regularly disposed windows to right, and 3 off-set windows at 1st floor, each breaking eaves into pedimented dormerhead. Flanking single storey wings each with wide-centred tripartite window.
W ELEVATION: lower, crowstepped and finialled lean-to bay (see Notes) with bipartite window projecting to left of pavilion gable, further window on return to right and smaller window high up to outer right of recessed 2-storey block.
E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: gabled elevation of pavilion obscured by link wall; small window to outer left at 1st floor of recessed gable with inset stone inscribed 'WD 1869' to gablehead stack.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements including triple-gable with 4-light transomed window to right and canted oriel to centre, both at 1st floor; high garden wall abutting to left of centre, and lower bays to each re-entrant angle.
4-, 6-, 10- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates with larger slate/stone eaves easing course to pavilions. Coped ashlar stacks with cans; ashlar-coped skews and moulded skewputts.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
DOVECOT: low gabled rectangle dovecot in outlying wing adjoining link wall to E and courtyard wall to N. Harled rubble with stone quoin strips. Stone-finialled gabled elevation to S with small window to centre at ground, and dovecot opening above, round-arched with margin of small brick, stone alighting ledge and 2 flight-holes flanking 3-tiers (grouped 2-2-1) of further flight holes in timber surround.
WALLED GARDEN AND ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: flat-coped rubble walled garden to W with row of slated, rubble lean-to ancillaries to N elevation.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: corniced and pyramidally-coped square-section, rusticated ashlar gatepiers. Rubble boundary walls.
The 1685 datestone was probably added during the 1869 reconstruction.
Other nearby listed buildings