History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Inchkeith Lighthouse, Lighthouse Keepers Cottage, Ancillary Buildings and Boundary Walls excluding scheduled monument SM3838, Inchkeith Island

A Category B Listed Building in Kinghorn, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0335 / 56°2'0"N

Longitude: -3.1362 / 3°8'10"W

OS Eastings: 329296

OS Northings: 682877

OS Grid: NT292828

Mapcode National: GBR 2B.RWXY

Mapcode Global: WH6S7.SLRZ

Entry Name: Inchkeith Lighthouse, Lighthouse Keepers Cottage, Ancillary Buildings and Boundary Walls excluding scheduled monument SM3838, Inchkeith Island

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Last Amended: 4 June 2018

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 342004

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9707

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kinghorn

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy

Parish: Kinghorn

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kinghorn

Description

LIGHTHOUSE: Built by Thomas Smith, engineer; 1803-4. The lighthouse has a short, circular, painted ashlar tower with a lantern resting on a 2-storey base. The top of the lighthouse has a crenellated parapet and string course. The lighthouse has a projecting semicircular bay with an inscription which reads".... lighted on the 14th of September 1804...". The light and upper floors are reached by a wheel stair in the tower.

The lighthouse has a series of single storey ancillary buildings, one of which was used as the lighthouse keepers' cottage. The lighthouse and ancillary buildings are surrounded by rubble boundary walls which include a 50 yard stretch of wall (with loop-hole) from 16th century fort (see separate designation record: SM3838).

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM3838 (see separate designation record).

Statement of Interest

The building of the lighthouse involved removal of almost all of a fort built by the French after they captured the island from the English in 1549, and partially demolished in 1567. The lighthouse originally had 1 stationary light. In 1815 a heptagon (seven lenses revolving around a fixed burner) was installed, this revolving light was purchased by the Government of Newfoundland and installed on Cape Spear in 1835 after installation in 1834 of a dioptic lantern. In 1889 an octagon (8 lenses) and new machinery were installed. The light is now entirely automated.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM3838 (see separate designation record).

Statutory Address revised in 2018. Previously listed as 'INCHKEITH ISLAND, LIGHTHOUSE AND REMAINS OF INCHKEITH FORT AND BOUNDARY WALLS .

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.