History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Johnstone Parish Church and Churchyard

A Category B Listed Building in Annandale North, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.2081 / 55°12'29"N

Longitude: -3.4154 / 3°24'55"W

OS Eastings: 310024

OS Northings: 591343

OS Grid: NY100913

Mapcode National: GBR 48L6.CV

Mapcode Global: WH6X5.HCT7

Entry Name: Johnstone Parish Church and Churchyard

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 342196

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9869

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Johnstone

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale North

Parish: Johnstone

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Johnstonebridge

Description

1733 church remodelled and enlarged 1819 (dated) by Andrew
Burnet, mason; further alterations and additions by James
Barbour, 1881; enclosed by churchyard.
Church: rubble-built; rusticated quoins, keystoned and
round-arched openings (all altered or constructed in 19th
century) and eaves course and cornice all ashlar. Church
originally rectangular-plan with yellow ashlar quoins and
splayed base course (later dressings mostly red ashlar);
long S wall now 2 bays; additions full-width of N wall in 2
stages, the lesser (former 18th century aisle) built first
and now demolished (some rusticated quoins survive below
session room stair and on 1819 jamb); second (probably 1819)
addition (jamb, forming L-plan church) extends W elevation to
3 bays with central door now a window with dated arch re-set
(?by Barbour). Pyramidal-roofed square full-height addition
(also 1819) adjoins at NE and has basket-arched N-facing
hearse-house at ground, session house above and good birdcage
belfry (present bell 1917) over E wallhead: flat-roofed low
porch and vestry (?all by Barbour) fill SE re-entrant angle:
other roofs piended and slated.
Interior by Barbour, roughly following 1819 arrangement;
(original woodwork in session house addition); low hexagonal
pulpit in SW re-entrant angle: gallery at E with panelled
front supported on 2 cast-iron columns is now enclosed
forming upper room: bell in vestibule said to be from
Lochwood Tower.
Churchyard: quadrangular enclosure with ashlar-coped
rubble-built walls; gate with rusticated square piers at
either end of E wall. Mostly 18th and 19th century stone
monuments, some large monuments with classical details.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. SRO NRA(S) 888 p.149

includes papers concerning repairs to (previous) church at

Johnstone, 1729.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.