This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0542 / 56°3'15"N
Longitude: -3.3744 / 3°22'27"W
OS Eastings: 314500
OS Northings: 685450
OS Grid: NT145854
Mapcode National: GBR 21.QHWB
Mapcode Global: WH6S4.43D2
Entry Name: Fordell Estate, Crowhill Plantation, Pitadro Doocot
Listing Date: 18 June 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342379
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9982
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
Late 17th to early 18th century. Single chamber rectangular-plan lectern dovecot (4.7m long by 4.1m wide) with crowstepped flanks sited on ground falling steeply to S; roofless. Random rubble; hammer-dressed quoins; projecting alighting ledge (stepped to flanks); moulded eaves course to S; beaked skewputts. Timber boarded door to S with chamfered ashlar surround; circular flight holes above door and to E and W flanks. 609 stone nesting boxes.
A-Group with Fordell Castle (see separate listing). The 1930s RCAHMS Inventory notes that the dovecot once had a slated roof and ball finials; however it was noted as roofless by Historic Scotland in 1973. Although the main fabric of the dovecot still seems relatively stable, as it lies in a wooded area the brush and trees are now overtaking this structure. The importance of this dovecot lies in relation to Fordell Castle (183 metres to the E) and Gardens (to the W). During the reign of David II (1329-71) the lands of Pitadro were held by Margaret Lovell. The Echline's later succeeded these lands from 1457 to 1609. After this date, the lands of Pitadro were succeeded by John Monypenny of Pitmilly. The lands of Pitadro were acquired from the Monypennys by the Hendersons of Fordell in 1680 and it was probably after this date that the original Pitadro mansion house (located N of the dovecot) became disused. The dovecot was most likely built after the lands of Pitadro (E of the Fordell Burn) were consolidated into the Fordell estate.
Other nearby listed buildings