This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0101 / 56°0'36"N
Longitude: -3.3947 / 3°23'41"W
OS Eastings: 313135
OS Northings: 680561
OS Grid: NT131805
Mapcode National: GBR 20.TC9N
Mapcode Global: WH6S9.T6NF
Entry Name: North Queensferry, the Brae
Listing Date: 18 June 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342384
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9987
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1764 and 1791. Two 2-storey, 3-bay traditional houses in row (now forming single dwelling). House to S: random rubble to E; rendered to S; painted rubble to W. Stone cills; broached and tooled rybats to original openings; concrete margins to renovated openings. Marriage lintel inscribed '17 – HM 64' (2 initials obscured). Forestair. House to N: random rubble to lower half of E elevation, Aberdeen bond to upper half; rendered to N and W. Stone cills; broached and tooled rybats to original openings; concrete margins to renovated openings. Circular forestair. Late 20th century cantilevered attic extension to rear.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: house to S: central railed forestair; late 20th century door to left with 1764 marriage lintel; ground floor windows to outer bays. Central 1st floor timber stable door, flanking windows close to eaves. House to N: central circular forestair with decorative cast iron railings, central door at ground floor; flanking windows. Central 1st floor 2-leaf timber panelled door, flanking windows.
N ELEVATION: plain gable; modern attic extension breaking roofline above gable to W.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: house to N: modern ground floor door to right; small square window to left of door, another to far left. 2 1st floor windows. Modern pitched and cantilevered attic extension encompassing entire roof space. House to S: small square window off-centre left. 1st floor window to far left.
S ELEVATION: 2-bay. Window to left; blocked gun loop to right of window. 2 1st floor windows.
12-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to E and S elevations; late 20th century windows at ground floor to W, 4-pane timber sash and case windows with horns at 1st floor. Pitched roofs; pantiles to N, grey slate to S; ashlar coped skews; coped rendered gablehead stacks; circular and octagonal clay cans.
INTERIOR: original 18th century beam construction in evidence.
This row of 2 cottages is situated on a prominent site near the centre of North Queensferry village. Despite the outsized extension to the attic of the northerly dwelling (visible from the W and S, but not from the E or N) these well-maintained houses contribute to the early historic fabric of the village. As with most early houses in the village, these were probably first built as single storey cottages and were later converted into 2-storey dwellings. Two different types of stonework evident on the northerly house and a 1791 date stone which is located at 1st floor level, probably indicate that the houses were heightened at this time. The gun loop found to the S elevation is an unusual feature for this type of house. It is not known whether it was intended for defensive purposes or that it was simply incorporated into the wall as a decorative feature.
Other nearby listed buildings