History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Queensferry, Chapel Place, Clifton House

A Category B Listed Building in Inverkeithing, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0093 / 56°0'33"N

Longitude: -3.3941 / 3°23'38"W

OS Eastings: 313171

OS Northings: 680476

OS Grid: NT131804

Mapcode National: GBR 20.TKF7

Mapcode Global: WH6S9.T7Y0

Entry Name: North Queensferry, Chapel Place, Clifton House

Listing Date: 18 June 1973

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 342393

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9997

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Inverkeithing

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
North Queensferry

Description

1827. 2-storey, 3-bay square-plan plain classical house with pilastered doorpiece, rounded 2-storey stair tower to rear and converted single storey 1-room stone cottage adjoining to E. Droved snecked and square sandstone to front, random rubble to sides and rear with part rendering to W elevation; base course; stone cills; painted margins.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Central pilastered doorway, flanking windows. 3, 1st floor windows above.

E ELEVATION: pitched roof single storey cottage projecting left (linked via drawing room of main building); ground floor window to right. 1st floor window centred above ground floor window.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: rendered semicircular stair tower off centre to left; single storey lean-to extension to right, small ground floor window to centre.

W ELEVATION: adjoining house to W.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to S; 2-pane timber sash and case with cast-iron bars to rear extension. Pitched roof; grey slates; concrete tiles to rear extension; ashlar coped skews; scrolled skewputts with floral detail; coped gablehead stacks, brick stack to W, droved sandstone to E; circular clay cans.

INTERIOR: original layout left fairly intact, however no original features remaining, 2002.

Statement of Interest

House built for Thomas Thomson, skipper, North Queensferry in 1827. The designation 'Clifton House' is first documented under the proprietorship of the McNair family (1873-1901). Information as per title deeds, courtesy of local historian, Robert Cubin.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.